Re: Blumlein etc - Sibelius

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
      This makes a nice story, but it is not literally true
      (about no one being able to play it at the time) Perhaps this was
      meant in general terms, as in hardly anyone. But certainly some people could play it.

      Even in its original version, it is not so difficult as say the works of Ernst who lived much earlier(died in 1865)
      Supposing, as one may, that Ernst could play his own works,
      the level of difficulty that violin works could exhibit and still
      be played(other people also played his works) was clearly already very high in the mid 19th century. I think people objected to things like the Tchaikovsky. not because they were literally unplayable--again, easier than Ernst and Paganini--but because they were "ungrateful" for the violin, [a "concerto against the violin" was one phrase used] that they did not suit the instrument in the sense of getting spectacular effects with comparatively little difficulty.

      What might well be true is that the Sibelius in its original form was too difficult to attain great popularity . For a composer to introduce a work that is both difficult and unusual(as it was at the time) puts a damper on its likelihood of being performed. Today when the Sibelius is a standard part of the rep it is hard to recall that when it was introduced, it was not at all certain to get anywhere. Lots of concerti at the time did not in fact go anywhere. But people have been able to do amazing things on the violin for a long time--just not very many people!

      REG

      PS These stories abound. I suppose everyone knows about the last movement of the Samuel Barber for example. If not, I can fill this in later. Time to let the dogs out!

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "laurie483000" <laurie483000@...> wrote:

      > Yes, I remember this being talked about when the BIS CD first came out. Also there was no-one around at the time Sibelius first composed the violin concerto, who could play it, hence the rewrite. I also remember that the Sibelius family had to be persuaded to let BIS do a recording the original version and that no one else is ever likely to get a chance.
      >
      > I'm not necessarily fond of all of the Sibelius original versions, which BIS have been issuing. I bought the BIS early 5th Symphony and to me it is like a collection of sketch ideas, that aren't all that well joined together. It's interesting if you know the final version of the Symphony, as you can see how the sketch ideas developed into something more substantial. I seem to remember someone else here also being rather critical of one of these BIS Symphonies, but I bought the 5th anyway and then found out he was right.
      >

      > Laurie
      >

      > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <regtas43@> wrote:
      > >
      > > And harder! there is this story in circulation that
      > > originally BIS was going to have someone else
      > > as soloist. The person was ok with the Sibelius as
      > > played today, but when he looked(so the story goes) at
      > > the original version, he backed out and they
      > > got Kavakos on an emergency basis, Kavakos being
      > > someone who can play anything!--and on short notice.
      > > Don't know whether this story is true--but it is true that
      > > the original is harder(and the piece as usually played
      > > is hard enough!)

    • Ken Holder
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2012
        At 11:01 AM 1/30/2012, laurie483000 wrote:

        >For a violin Concerto recording with the violin placed further away
        >but still very clear, perhaps try the BIS Sibelius with Kavakos and
        >Vanska in both original and final versions of the work. I actually
        >prefer the original - a bit more earthy and less polished.

        Sound seems quite realistic. BIS seems to try to do this
        most of the time.

        Ken Holder
      • musica_pt
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 5, 2012
          I have just been revisiting this CD that not played for a while).
          I attribute that to it having been recorded in a church, I just don't like the sound...
          As for Kavakos, I was fortunate enough to listen to him play the Sibelius Concerto live with Philadelphia and Eschenbach 3 years ago.

          Cheers,
          Ricardo