Re: Speaker stands

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2012
      Is there some nonphoto information about what is
      going on here?

      REG

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2012
        If this is really a comparison of the speakers' sounds,
        then it is deeply flawed from the start. The Gradient
        Revolution is most definitely NOT intended to be lifted
        off the floor.

        It has been demonstrated repeatedly that placement of speakers
        makes a huge difference in sound. In a systematic study, Olive
        and Toole found that room and placement within it made
        as much difference to perceived sound as the speaker itself.

        People attempting direct comparisons among speakers have to
        do so carefully. Clearly what has to be done if the results
        are to have any validity at all is to place each pair of speakers
        ideally (according to in room measurement for example) and
        then listen.

        Just plopping them up at random and putting floorstanders on stands
        and so on really won't do.

        REG

        PS THis is not as such a comment on what is going on in the photo,
        since I do not know what the intention was. But everyone knows that
        lifting a dipole bass unit off the floor changes how it sounds quite a lot.