Re: The Current Issue of TAS

    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 3, 2011
      Right! There is , however, one other factor:
      With most speakers, turning the speaker away from directly
      at you reduces the amount of top end in the early arrival.
      The sound is literally different in balance.

      Now lots of recordings have an un-natural amount of top.
      So reducing it might not be bad.

      What is really important, however, is to think clearly or so I believe. To describe to others or to yourself the process
      of not pointing the speakers at you are creating "soundstage"
      obfuscates what is really happening. One ought to say to one;s self
      instead
      " I turned the speakers away from me to cut down the top end
      and bounce some more sound off the walls."

      The reason this description is better is that it removes the mystification.
      When one makes something involving material objects mystical,
      you open yourself up to the possibility of being persuaded to spend a lot of money for a fake reason.

      Obviously, there is no reason at all why someone cannot enjoy listening to their stereo with their speakers pointing straight at the side walls if they like that: it is ,after all, their stereo.

      But when people try to sell you expensive electronics on the grounds that they "soundstage" better(never trust someone who uses nouns as verbs?), then one's marlarkey meter ought to light up pretty well in my view.

      I do not trust effects without causes. Clarity of thought is the key to surivival (financially in this case).

      REG

      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 6, 2011
        No apology needed!

        People who make such recordings for some reason
        regard 60 degrees as a theoretical ideal(which
        of course it is not, not for any particular purpose,
        it is just a convention). So if you want to hear
        what they heard, you could try that.

        But as we were discussing, there is no playback paradigm.
        There is no set up where recording the playback would produce
        the original recording for example.

        REG