Re: Stax ELS-8x speakers on Audiogon

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
      If they are indeed in working order, this is surely
      an interesting item. (Watch out for that though--
      probably impossible or nearly so to get repaired).

      I have never heard these, but it would be tempting to work
      with them.

      Of course, there are other quasi fullrange electrostatic
      flat panels around, but they cost more!

      Worth looking into for sure. If I lived anywhere
      near there....

      REG

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Edward" <Edward_Wu@...> wrote:

      > I believe this listing was posted by Kevin, a member of this list.
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/69njp8e

    • audiomayvin2000
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
        Hi!
        Years ago I repaired one of the Stax Electrostatic speakers(don't remember the model) whose coating came off. I recoated it with graphite(as I had done with the headphones many times over the years) and the customer was very pleased.
        All the best,
        Leon(The Audiomayvin,Montreal(514)739-5403)

        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <regonaudio@...> wrote:

        > If they are indeed in working order, this is surely
        > an interesting item. (Watch out for that though--
        > probably impossible or nearly so to get repaired).
        >
        > I have never heard these, but it would be tempting to work
        > with them.
        >
        > Of course, there are other quasi fullrange electrostatic
        > flat panels around, but they cost more!
        >
        > Worth looking into for sure. If I lived anywhere
        > near there....
        >
        > REG
      • Edward
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
          Hi Robert
          I recall an old issue of TAS where HP mentions having them on hand, but it may have been a brief flirtation.

          I am curious why one would divide a full range electrostat into tweeter, mid and bass strips. Is it to achieve a certain radiation pattern, to reduce drum resonances, or some other reason? Doesn't the narrow-to-broad driver arrangment result in the radiation discontinuity you've observed in the older Magneplanars?

          Thanks
          Edward

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
            Good question. The problem is that if one does not do this,
            if one runs the whole large panel full range, one gets a
            speaker that is really wildly beamy. If one is willing
            to sit in a precisely defined position, this works.
            The Sanders speakers and earlier Roger Sander's designs for Inner Sound did this, as did the Acoustats as I recall.

            But many people feel they want a wider "viewing area" as it were.

            The ideal floor to ceiling planar speaker would almost surely
            be a design that used time delays on vertical strips to create a virtual line source in the same sense that the Quad 63 and its successors created a virtual point source. Ross Walker(Peter Walker's son) once described to me in some detail how his father had in fact worked on such a design. But age,retirement, and later death intervened--the design never reached fruition.

            I am afraid that in a sense it shows a lamentble lacked of instinct towards innovation that no one else has done this. Once the Quad 63
            had appeared and worked, it became of course obvious that the line
            source analogue could be made successfully. And yet, here we
            are almost thirty years after the Quad 63 appeared and it is still
            true that no one has done this.(The Quad appeared in the early 1980s)

            A bit discouraging, this story.

            REG

            --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Edward" <Edward_Wu@...> wrote:

            > Hi Robert
            > I recall an old issue of TAS where HP mentions having them on hand, but it may have been a brief flirtation.
            >
            > I am curious why one would divide a full range electrostat into tweeter, mid and bass strips. Is it to achieve a certain radiation pattern, to reduce drum resonances, or some other reason? Doesn't the narrow-to-broad driver arrangment result in the radiation discontinuity you've observed in the older Magneplanars?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Edward
            >
            > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <regonaudio@> wrote:
            > >
            > > If they are indeed in working order, this is surely
            > > an interesting item. (Watch out for that though--
            > > probably impossible or nearly so to get repaired).
            > >
            > > I have never heard these, but it would be tempting to work
            > > with them.
            > >
            > > Of course, there are other quasi fullrange electrostatic
            > > flat panels around, but they cost more!
            > >
            > > Worth looking into for sure. If I lived anywhere
            > > near there....
            > >
            > > REG
            > >
            > > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Edward" <Edward_Wu@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I believe this listing was posted by Kevin, a member of this list.
            > > >
            > > > http://tinyurl.com/69njp8e

          • david
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
              In fact, the Acoustat SPECTRA series of segmented electrostatic loudspeakers did just this with nothing more than resistors coupling the vertical segments. There were bass augmented 2-way designs (11/1100) as well as full range 3-ways (66/6600) and several sizes in between.
              --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <regonaudio@...> wrote:

              > Good question. The problem is that if one does not do this,
              > if one runs the whole large panel full range, one gets a
              > speaker that is really wildly beamy. If one is willing
              > to sit in a precisely defined position, this works.
              > The Sanders speakers and earlier Roger Sander's designs for Inner Sound did this, as did the Acoustats as I recall.
              >
              > But many people feel they want a wider "viewing area" as it were.
              >
              > The ideal floor to ceiling planar speaker would almost surely
              > be a design that used time delays on vertical strips to create a virtual line source in the same sense that the Quad 63 and its successors created a virtual point source. Ross Walker(Peter Walker's son) once described to me in some detail how his father had in fact worked on such a design. But age,retirement, and later death intervened--the design never reached fruition.
              >
              > I am afraid that in a sense it shows a lamentble lacked of instinct towards innovation that no one else has done this. Once the Quad 63
              > had appeared and worked, it became of course obvious that the line
              > source analogue could be made successfully. And yet, here we
              > are almost thirty years after the Quad 63 appeared and it is still
              > true that no one has done this.(The Quad appeared in the early 1980s)
              >
              > A bit discouraging, this story.
              >
              > REG
              >
              > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Edward" <Edward_Wu@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Robert
              > > I recall an old issue of TAS where HP mentions having them on hand, but it may have been a brief flirtation.
              > >
              > > I am curious why one would divide a full range electrostat into tweeter, mid and bass strips. Is it to achieve a certain radiation pattern, to reduce drum resonances, or some other reason? Doesn't the narrow-to-broad driver arrangment result in the radiation discontinuity you've observed in the older Magneplanars?
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > > Edward
              > >
              > > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <regonaudio@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > If they are indeed in working order, this is surely
              > > > an interesting item. (Watch out for that though--
              > > > probably impossible or nearly so to get repaired).
              > > >
              > > > I have never heard these, but it would be tempting to work
              > > > with them.
              > > >
              > > > Of course, there are other quasi fullrange electrostatic
              > > > flat panels around, but they cost more!
              > > >
              > > > Worth looking into for sure. If I lived anywhere
              > > > near there....
              > > >
              > > > REG

            • Jon Yost
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2011
              Discussion of a method of ESL segmentation which produces a horizontal dispersion which is lobe free -- very interesting!