Back in the real world

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2010
      Sorry I vanished!
      On Thanksgiving night(Thursday night),
      I came down with a really nasty stomach virus
      and have been fairly incapacitated since.
      Today I feel relatively well, and last
      evening I ate a regular meal for the first time in
      a week.
      I am glad that is over!
      As mentioned, I have a found several items in older
      TASes that are worth a discussion, I think.
      I shall be starting those shortly.

      REG
    • Tip Johnson
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2010
        Hi REG,

        > Sorry I vanished!
        > On Thanksgiving night(Thursday night),
        > I came down with a really nasty stomach virus and have been
        > fairly incapacitated since.
        > Today I feel relatively well, and last
        > evening I ate a regular meal for the first time in a week.
        > I am glad that is over!
        > As mentioned, I have a found several items in older TASes
        > that are worth a discussion, I think.
        > I shall be starting those shortly.

        Glad to hear you're OK. Speaking of Thanksgiving and old things audio, I was invited to Thanksgiving dinner at a new friend's home.
        He had an old stereo from the late '70s, including a Soundcraftman EQ, a Counterpoint tube pre-amp, and an amp I've never seen
        before. It was a QED solid-state 220w/c class-A amp that used output transformers. I searched the web and didn't find any
        information on it. Does anyone remember this amp?

        Tip

        PS. He had a box of tapes from the late '50s of his mother who was an opera singer. He didn't have a RTR to play them and had never
        heard them, so I brought my 1967 Ampex with me and we listened to a few of the tapes while eating Thanksgiving dinner.
      • Charlie Daniell
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2010

          Glad you are feeling better... that sounds like a nasty virus. I bet your students are a bit panicky about your absence at finals time!

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2010

            Tip,

            What speakers did he have?

            Charlie

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2010
              I'm slowly re-entering the real world myself following the sea change in my life which ensued from the loss of my spouse.  Still adjusting--I'm not sure that process will ever end--and audio holds no great joy for me yet, but live music appreciation and performance is back.

              But, speaking of old stuff, even from the depths of my loss I knew I'd kick myself much later if I did not snag the pair of AR-303a speakers which Vintage AR sold from the proprietor's personal collection.  Cherry wood cabinets; quite rare on the used market.  I expect to take delivery a little later today.  Now REG will not be the only one around here with a pair of these AR-3a updates.

              >>> Tip Johnson <Tip_Johnson@...> 12/2/2010 12:54 PM >>>
              Hi REG,

              > Sorry I vanished!
              > On Thanksgiving night(Thursday night),
              > I came down with a really nasty stomach virus and have been
              > fairly incapacitated since.
              > Today I feel relatively well, and last
              > evening I ate a regular meal for the first time in a week.
              > I am glad that is over!
              > As mentioned, I have a found several items in older TASes
              > that are worth a discussion, I think.
              > I shall be starting those shortly.

              Glad to hear you're OK.  Speaking of Thanksgiving and old things audio, I was invited to Thanksgiving dinner at a new friend's home.
              He had an old stereo from the late '70s, including a Soundcraftman EQ, a Counterpoint tube pre-amp, and an amp I've never seen
              before.  It was a QED solid-state 220w/c class-A amp that used output transformers.  I searched the web and didn't find any
              information on it.  Does anyone remember this amp?

              Tip

              PS. He had a box of tapes from the late '50s of his mother who was an opera singer.  He didn't have a RTR to play them and had never
              heard them, so I brought my 1967 Ampex with me and we listened to a few of the tapes while eating Thanksgiving dinner.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  regsaudioforum-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  regsaudioforum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Tip Johnson
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2010
                Hi Charlie,

                I forgot what the speakers were.  They had a four-letter name -- maybe Avid?  Avid was around the same time period.  They were two-way and had a wide baffle with a dome tweeter and a 10" woofer.  My friend said that his brother had opened an audio shop in the late '70s financed by his father that lasted only a couple of months before going out of business and had a large stock of unsold equipment.  His father told him to take whatever he wanted, which is how he ended up with all this vintage equipment -- he wasn't into audio.  It was set up in his living room for background music with the speakers at opposite ends of the room.  It sounded OK -- very mellow.  I was more interested in the QED class-A amp as I had a 1978 Threshold 400A back then.  I was surprised it was still working since it was placed in a cabinet shelf just large enough for it to fit, but it does have a fan on the back for ventilation.  A tube in his Counterpoint pre-amp had died so I also brought along an old Denon receiver with a pre-amp outputs to use as a pre-amp until he replaces the tubes.   That's a long time for a tube to last.

                Tip

                What speakers did he have?

                 Charlie

              • Charlie Daniell
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2010

                  I would have found that experience to be fun, for sure. I would have bet on “mellow!”  The timeline for electronics to become “vintage” is rather short, no?

                  Thanks,

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2010
                    At 11:04 AM 12/2/2010, Robert wrote:
                    >Sorry I vanished!
                    >On Thanksgiving night(Thursday night),
                    >I came down with a really nasty stomach virus
                    >and have been fairly incapacitated since.

                    Oh lordy. I myself have just discovered that with
                    advancing age, something even as "minor" as a head-
                    cold can like to near kill a feller.

                    Glad you're doing better!

                    Ken Holder
                    Just a Poor, Old, Simple, Country-Living, Music-Lover