Nice CD -- Stravinsky - The Fairy's Kiss / Scenes de Ballet

  • laurie483000
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2010
      The following was the recommended version a few months ago on the BBCs CD review and I was impressed with what I heard then, so was added to the Amazon shopping basket at the time. It arrived this morning :-

      Stravinsky - The Fairy's Kiss / Scenes de Ballet
      BBC Scottish symphony Orchestra - Ilan Volkov conductor
      Hyperion CDA67697, recorded Nov 2008 at City Halls Glasgow

      Stravinsky isn't everyone's favourite here and I didn't really know these works until today, but the village fete in the first work has an infectious joyful quality for me and coupled with the ever so beautiful chords that could only be Stravinsky, as exemplified in the last track of the 2nd work - this could join my favourite CDs list.

      The sound quality is very good to my ears - clean and clear - the loud bits are loud without being at all harsh or distorted. The balance full bodied and deep bass comes across well. Brass is nicely fruity without being gritty.

      Thought it worth mentioning.

      Laurie
    • Edward Mast

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
            The Fairy's Kiss is a real beauty in my view, and
            I am not a big Stravinsky person as such.
            Oddly enough, the influence of Tchaikovsky(to understate the case--
            many of the leodic lines are lifted whole,
            by admission and as a tribute) has led critics
            not to like this piece so much but I personally find it one
            of Stravinsky's best. I think he needed someone else to
            bounce off of, undignified for a great composer as that might sound. It seemed to inspire him to commune with the spirits of other masters--
            or something. (A cynic would say that he could not write a melody and
            hence had to snitch them, e.g. thosein Firebird being
            Russian folk songs.
            Anyway for whatever reason, it is wonderful stuff. There is a really
            nice violin arrangement,too.

            REG

            --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "laurie483000" <laurie483000@...> wrote:

            > The following was the recommended version a few months ago on the BBCs CD review and I was impressed with what I heard then, so was added to the Amazon shopping basket at the time. It arrived this morning :-
            >
            > Stravinsky - The Fairy's Kiss / Scenes de Ballet
            > BBC Scottish symphony Orchestra - Ilan Volkov conductor
            > Hyperion CDA67697, recorded Nov 2008 at City Halls Glasgow
            >
            > Stravinsky isn't everyone's favourite here and I didn't really know these works until today, but the village fete in the first work has an infectious joyful quality for me and coupled with the ever so beautiful chords that could only be Stravinsky, as exemplified in the last track of the 2nd work - this could join my favourite CDs list.
            >
            > The sound quality is very good to my ears - clean and clear - the loud bits are loud without being at all harsh or distorted. The balance full bodied and deep bass comes across well. Brass is nicely fruity without being gritty.
            >
            > Thought it worth mentioning.
            >

            > Laurie

          • laurie483000
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2010
              I didn't know about the Tchaikovsky connection.

              Pulcinella is similarly borrowed - from music attributed to Pergolesi and it is also very melodic in places. I suspect that the old St Martin in the Fields / Argo recording of the Suite introduced this work to many - did to me anyway - but I played it too often. I came across the full version with singing a bit more recently - LSO Abbado on DG and I found this rather refreshing and my interest was happily renewed - not bad recorded sound quality either.

              Re the later message, I'll see if I can get the Bukovec 'Gemini / Fairy's Kiss' disc as it's about time I bought some more CDs - the Hyperion orchestral 'Fairey's Kiss' being the first in quite a while. Finally Hiroyuki / Edward, I think my enthusiasm for the music is more than just a passing infatuation - so I hope you like it too.

              Laurie

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2010
                The Tchaikovsky pieces used are not the familiar warhorses.
                Most of them are piano pieces, often from early in his (Tch's) career.
                But Tchaikovsky they are.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2010
                  PS There is also a nice violin arrangement of Pulcinella
                  called Suite Italienne
                  and also a cello version(same title)
                  recorded by Piatigorsky on classic period RCA
                  (Debussy Sonata on the same record)
                  This is worth latching onto, to say the least.
                  There is Truls Mork performance too
                  which I have not heard(I like Mork though)
                  Maisky has one too.

                  Maybe David E(our resident cellist) could say a few words on all this if he is still around?
                  I think Piatigorsky actually worked with Stravinsky on the cello version

                  REG

                  PS I like orchestral music in audiophile versions
                  but one of the penalities of years of audiophile
                  reviewing of "power music" is that a lot of nice chamber stuff gets overlooked!