Sphile on Gradient 1.5s

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2010
      I thought this was a good job. I really
      took no substantive issues with it.
      I do think the speaker is a bit light weight sounding.
      But it is not an easy effect to measure.
      Somehow the crossfiring dipole produced to my
      ears less bass than what I actually measured in
      the steady state in room as I mentioned.

      I am sure we all agree, all of us who have heard them,
      about the exceptionally good stereo.

      The close miked woofer response measurement that JA uses
      does not really translate literally(as Atkinson himself
      has often said) into the in-room bass response. I think
      this is especially the case for dipoles, probably.
      And crossfiring dipoles... well, there is no comparison sample
      so it is had to say what that type of measurement means in that
      case, even comparatively.

      Anyway, good job all around I thought. I suppose I could pick nits,
      but I really do not feel so inclined. After a lot of talk,
      something very like what I too think is true emerges.
      Good job in my book.

      REG

      PS I would be interested in some in-room bass measurements
      with buildup information.
    • jeff
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2010
        Hi REG,
        As you know, I've posted in-room bass measurements, but I'm not sure what you mean by "with buildup information".
        jeff

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2010
          One can do a kind of reverse waterfall sort of measurement
          to see how fast the bass energy is building up in the room.
          This seems to have something to do with how punchy the bass feels.
          But most programs do not offer this.
          (For minimum phase systems it is the same essentially as flat,
          but as UB has shown, bass in rooms is only approximately minimum phase).

          Still, I am pretty happy just to see nice flat smooth bass. I was particularly interested in the buildup thing because to my ears(as
          opposed to any measurements) the Helsinki bass somehow lacked a little in impact, even when it was EQed flat in steady state terms. I was and am curious why...
          could have been my room of course, not a transferrable effect....

          REG