TAS Golden Ear awards

    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2010
      The Golden Ear awards issue of TAS is out.

      For what I hope are obvious reasons, I am disinclined to offer comments myself. This would seem to me improper. (Also there is much I have not heard in the list).

      However, I am curious what you all think once you have seen the issue.

      Comments would be appreciated(especially since there are quite a few speakers in particular listed that I have never had a chance to hear
      but perhaps some of you have). You all are my way of taking the pulse of the audio public as it were, if you don't mind.

      REG
    • thomasmallin
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2010
        I just received this issue yesterday. I have not heard too many of the recommended speakers, but here are my quick impressions of the few I have heard, based solely on hearings at dealers:

        Thiel CS3.7: less bright and cleaner sounding than prior Thiels with similarly very focused and precise sound spacing and imaging. Still too bright for my current tastes, but Thiel designs, unlike many others have been moving toward less bright, rather than brighter.

        Magnepan 20.1: I've only heard these twice, at two different dealers. My most recent audition, of a fully broken in pair the dealer just took in trade, was very disappointing, but may have been set up related. There was less than 5 feet between the panels and the unpadded wall behind them. Very bright and constricted sounding with almost one-note bass. The prior audition had much better bass and great tonality, but with quite a bit of spatial imprecision. I have a feeling that you really need these to be a lot further from the wall behind them than in the dealer set ups I've heard. You also need them to be quite far apart and with the tweeters on the inside, not outside as most dealers set them up. I think they set them up with the tweeters outboard because that allows the panels to get closer to the sidewalls and still give apparently decent stereo separation, but this, I think, is compromising the spatial presentation. Thus, I think you need an enormous room.

        Magnepan 1.7: again a disappointment to me given the hype. Way too bright and doesn't take well to turning up the volume. Again, however, maybe this needs to be much further than four feet from the wall behind them as the dealer had them set up. Or maybe they need yet more break in. But the dealer was effusive with praise for these in this set up.

        HP's Golden Ear award to the $13k Sanders Model 10c Hybrid Electrostat and his description of the sound makes that model look very interesting. Solid bass and narrow dispersion above. I haven't heard it, though.

        I am also intrigued by the Genesis 6.1 speaker favored by Paul Seydor and will try to hear these sometime soon.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2010
          I think Paul Seydor and the Genesis 6.1 is an error.
          I do not have the issue in front of me, but I
          think it was someone else who Golden Eared the
          Genesis(Paul has never mentioned them to me--I
          don't think he has heard them).

          REG

          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2010
            Sorry, my mistake. The Genesis was a Steven Stone selection.

> [...]

            > I am also intrigued by the Genesis 6.1 speaker favored by Paul Seydor and will try to hear these sometime soon.
            >

            > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <regonaudio@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The Golden Ear awards issue of TAS is out.
            > >
            > > For what I hope are obvious reasons, I am disinclined to offer comments myself. This would seem to me improper. (Also there is much I have not heard in the list).
            > >
            > > However, I am curious what you all think once you have seen the issue.
            > >
            > > Comments would be appreciated(especially since there are quite a few speakers in particular listed that I have never had a chance to hear
            > > but perhaps some of you have). You all are my way of taking the pulse of the audio public as it were, if you don't mind.

          • Will_H
            Message 5 of 5 , May 15, 2010
              Finally got my issue... alas, of all the speakers in that issue, only
              Maggies are available for audition where I live... but the 1.7 sure sounds
              good to me. Not bright like many seem to hear. And the dealer is using
              Nuforce digital amps too. But his listening room is absolutely cavernous
              with lots of space around the speakers - hight ceilings, 10'+ to either side
              and probably 7 or 8' behind. So spacious sounding. My only concern is the
              lack of focus for centred images.... that alone might be the deal-breaker
              for me.

              > The Golden Ear awards issue of TAS is out.
              >
              > For what I hope are obvious reasons, I am disinclined to offer comments
              > myself. This would seem to me improper. (Also there is much I have not
              > heard in the list).
              >
              > However, I am curious what you all think once you have seen the issue.
              >
              > Comments would be appreciated(especially since there are quite a few
              > speakers in particular listed that I have never had a chance to hear
              > but perhaps some of you have). You all are my way of taking the pulse of
              > the audio public as it were, if you don't mind.

              02:27:00