Good Friday

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
      Good Friday approaches, and the moment of decision: which version
      of Parsifal? Knappertsbusch from Bayreuth 1951 is a perennial favorite, but there is Barenboim and ...
      In any case, what to do over Easter is not in doubt for me.

      Happy Easter , everyone. (I consider that since Easter is really a
      festival of spring and the renewal of life associated to spring time,
      that it is a happy time and suitable celebration occasion for everyone, Christian or not.)

      Life is surely renewed around here. Last night Bernice woke me up
      at 2:30, indicating she needed to go out. I let her out and she
      began to look for a suitable spot. Suddenly I noticed a black and white shape off in the corner of the fenced back yard. A skunk!
      I picked Bernice up(she is a little dog, by our local standards, 50 pounds. What I would have done had it been Duchess at 110 pounds is unclear).
      And I ran back inside with her in my arms and closed the door.
      She had to make do with going on newspapers(which she will do but prefers not).

      I am attached to Nature, but in all honesty, I wish that Mr. Skunk
      would move on to another location where there were no dogs. He would be happier and we would be a lot more secure feeling.

      Oh, well, as the Quakers say there is of God in everyone, and I suppose that includes skunks. But it was a near thing.

      Happy Easter!

      REG
    • laurie483000
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
        If it were me, I'd pass over both of those versions (though I have to admit I don't really know them) and would go for the DG set - James Levine, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and Chorus, Domingo, Jessye Norman - plus not many other Germanic sounding names. Not very expensive either.

        I know I'm out on a limb here - but something Tom Mallin recently said about the the hard sound quality of singing in most opera recordings - for me and unusually for DG, this and the Levine Ring are exceptions to that general truism and they also add nice string tone and balanced overall sound quality to enhance the overall appeal. No doubt they are recorded with non purist mic techniques, but the singing is generally not too up front.

        Laurie

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
          Thanks for the thought. I shall put this on my list.

          I ended up this Easter-time with, as it happened, Levine
          but a different performance, the one from Bayreuth in the mid 1980s.
          (This was part of one of the (for me) all time great bargains
          of recorded music--a set of ALL the great Wagner operas
          from Bayreuth performances, the whole set of 33 CDs for
          something like $60 that I think we talked about here a while
          back.)
          I am not all the way through(I had to go to work).
          But so far I am happy with this one, as I have been with some
          others, too--I like to hear a lot of different visions of the work.

          REG

          PS If you are fond of this work, you ought to try Knappertsbusch
          1951 Bayreuth. Old sound and mono, but to my mind/heart exceptionally moving.