BG and measurements

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2010
      Look carefully at the final measurement! If one pulls
      down the brightness a few dB(easy to do) and adds
      a subwoofer(which is needed), then what do you have?
      You have a nearly prefect in room response.

      This whole situation illustrates why audio reviewing as currently
      practiced is like going into a kick boxing match with your feet tied together. The eschewing of even the thought of EQ means that
      one is missing a whole dimension of possibilities that are easily available in the real world. Of course the extra brightness would be
      a little annoying, maybe a lot annoying. But it is easily fixed!

      The basic in-room behavior is amazingly good. Does it not seem a little odd to you that there is no jumping up and down about the fact that at last here is a speaker that does NOT have the "usual floor dip"?

      Sometimes it seems as if speakers are only being reviewed in the deep bass and then from 1k on up.

      Notice how nearly totally flawless the BandG is from 125 Hz to 3kHz.This is basically the BEST performance or among the best that I can recall seeing in Stereophile over this range. Add a sub and all is well from 125 Hz down,too. The response from 125 Hz across the midrange is ,well, perfect to my mind( I like a little extra warmth in the 200 Hz region).

      The thing is amazing!

      And yet the easily EQed- out brightness is considered to mar the picture so much that the speaker seems not even very interesting
      as described.

      I think this is all wrong. What is important is the integration into the room. And this is incredibly good!
      It is hard to find ANY other speaker that does as well as this in JAs in-room measurements. Maybe the PSB Synchrony 1. But look at all those high priced "audiophile" floorstanders, with their big hole at 200 Hz or the like.

      Here is one that works.