Re: [regsaudioforum] Digest Number 221

  • Russell Dawkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005
      I'll cast a negative vote for Wyde eye. I bought two 9 years ago -
      AES/EBU and SPDIF (with RCA on one end and BNC on the other). The
      centre pin on the RCA came loose after 5 years, and I didn't bother to
      replace it. I have dealt with Apogee since they were so new that they
      said "how did you find out about us??" when I first called (1987?). I
      bought their AD 500E and have had problems relating to under
      specification of the power supply, I believe. Paid them fairly
      handsomely to fix it and 6 months later, same again. It now sits on a
      shelf as an expensive lump. I am not been pleased with their customer
      support, so I'd rather use Benchmark or Lavry for similar products.
      Russell
    • Richard Tuck
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
        Russel clearly had a bad experience with Apogee products in their early years but what matters is what they are like now.

        When I replaced the AES/EBU cables I had made using van Damme 110 ohm cable with the WydeEye the effect was, sorry to use the word, a night and day improvement in clarity.

        Will

        To give you some extra confidence, Stereophile's John Atkinson uses WydeEye for very long digital cable runs when he makes his recordings.

        Quotes from Stereophile Website

        Digital Data Interconnects

        Apogee Electronics Wyde-Eye: $49.95/0.5m; $59.95/1m; $69.95/2m; $79.95/3m; $89.95/5m; $99.95/10m $$$ * "If you haven't heard this 110 ohm balanced data cable, you're missing out!" crows LL, adding that it's "more transparent, more musically honest than any I've heard—and it's ridiculously cheap!" JA is also impressed, and uses 50' lengths for his Stereophile recording sessions. KR, however, while agreeing that Wyde-Eye is an excellent value, notes that it is less transparent-sounding than the (much more expensive) Illuminations. Also available for the same price in a 75 ohm version for S/PDIF applications, using Canare's true 75 ohm RCAs. (NR)

        Stereovox hdvx: $100/1m "Chris Sommovigo does it again with another and better and cheaper digital coax!" cries KR. This BNC-BNC S/PDIF cable comes with RCA adapters and is sturdy enough for a reviewer's constant reconnecting and neutral enough to reveal the subtleties of the connected equipment. "$100? I cannot imagine spending more!" decides Dr. Kal. JA agrees. (NR)

        So you pays your money - me I know what I like and am sticking to it.

        Richard

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
          Thanks to everyone for your input.  I really appreciate it!

          I think I'll go with the Apogee.