Re: [regsaudioforum] Happy New Year!

  • ymm
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 2 3:55 AM
      Hi ned,

      From the comments, one would think Purcell wrote this pieces not for women.

      I wonder how the eunuchs sang them. Any on youTube?

      best,
      Yip

      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 2 5:12 AM

        .

        No news to anyone here, but I thought it was interesting to know that the “average Joe” listener might be getting informed about what is going on. This is from NPR interview with Bob Ludwig.

        The Loudness Wars: Why Music Sounds Worse

        http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122114058&sc=nl&cc=mn-20100102

        Charlie

      • Charlie Daniell
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 2 5:15 AM

          Yip,

          10 Years!

          Happy New Year!

          Charlie

          From: Charlie Daniell <danvetc@...>
          Subject: [regsaudioforum] Happy New Year!
          To: regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Friday, 1 January, 2010, 10:57 PM

          Happy and Healthy New Year to all here!

          Thank you, REG, for all your hard work and expertise. You are an amazing man in many ways, (like Forrest Gump with double the IQ.) [J]

          Thanks to all who contribute here, I learn something from everyone.

          Charlie Daniell

          p.s. some of the OT comments are incredibly meaningful and insightful for me, this is a special group.

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 2 6:44 AM
            The prof thinks that CD is adequate and then went on to say that he would rather listen to concerts - live acoustic sound in the best seats I think he meant.
            But many SACD,vinyl and audio DVD fans think that CD is still an inadequate media.

            best,
            Yip

            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 2 3:10 PM
              Those who think CD is inadequate just haven't heard CD reproduction at
              the PS Audio Perfect Wave level. It is more than adequate. I can
              directly compare the 24/176.4 Reference Recordings HRx disc of RR 48
              Arnold Overtures with the ordinary CD. Both sound wonderful. Yes, the
              HRx disc sounds a bit better, but it is NOT night and day better and if
              the HRx didn't exist I would say that the CD replay is exemplary. I'm
              not even sure that the HRx discs are worth the $45 price tag given the
              small difference in playback quality on my system.

              >>> ymm <yipmangmeng@...> 1/2/2010 8:44 AM >>>

              The prof thinks that CD is adequate and then went on to say that he
              would rather listen to concerts - live acoustic sound in the best seats
              I think he meant.
              But many SACD,vinyl and audio DVD fans think that CD is still an
              inadequate media.

              best,
              Yip

              No news to anyone here, but I thought it was interesting to know that
              the “average Joe” listener might be getting informed about what is
              going on. This is from NPR interview with Bob Ludwig.

              The Loudness Wars: Why Music Sounds Worse

              http://www.npr org/templates/ story/story. php?storyId=
              122114058&sc=nl&cc=mn-20100102 (
              http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122114058&sc=nl&cc=mn-20100102
              )

              Charlie

              New Email names for you! (
              http://sg.rd.yahoo.com/sg/mail/domainchoice/mail/signature/*http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/sg/
              )
              Get the Email name you've always wanted on the new @ymail and
              @rocketmail.
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 2 5:19 PM
                Hi Tom,

                I am certain that the prof had not heard CDs through PS Audio Perfect Wave.

                Is there any review of the PS against the Richard's digital marvel?

                What makes the PS so good at extracting info from CDs or is it a case of enhancement?

                best,
                Yi

                http://www.npr. org/templates/ story/story. php?storyId= 122114058& amp;sc=nl& amp;cc=mn- 20100102
                )

              • rsandford@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 2 5:28 PM
                  See:

                  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/psaudio7/perfectwave.html

                  --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, ymm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Tom,
                  > I am certain that the prof had not heard CDs through PS Audio Perfect Wave.
                  > Is there any review of the PS against the Richard's digital marvel?
                  > What makes the PS so good at extracting info from CDs or is it a case of enhancement?
                  > best,Yi

                • ymm
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 2 5:47 PM
                    Thank you,

                    best,
                    Yip

                    > I am certain that the prof had not heard CDs through PS Audio Perfect Wave.
                    > Is there any review of the PS against the Richard's digital marvel?
                    > What makes the PS so good at extracting info from CDs or is it a case of enhancement?
                    > best,Yi

                    New Email names for you!
                    Hurry before someone else does!
                  • tonycdk
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 2 9:40 PM
                      Hi Yip

                      Your only choice for a true castrato are the recordings of Alessandro Moreschi. These were recorded in 1902-1904 and so recording quality is suspect regarding actual vocal quality! Google him as I think there may be an example on the web, if you can't find one let me know and I will send you a sample.

                      Tony

                      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, ymm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:

                      > Hi ned,
                      > From the comments, one would think Purcell wrote this pieces not for women.
                      > I wonder how the eunuchs sang them. Any on youTube?
                      > best,Yip

                    • ymm
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 2 11:01 PM
                        Thanks, Tony.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 3 5:13 AM
                          I have not heard a dCS in a very long time, Yip. For all I know, dCS
                          products may be as good or better. However, the Stereophile reviews
                          imply that the latest Ayre universal player with the apodising filter is
                          about as good with CDs as the Meridian or the dCS or the Boulder. I've
                          heard the Ayre and Boulder and the PS is more natural and easy sounding.
                          It sounds analog with, pure and simple. I have not heard this quality
                          in any other player.

                          The star of the show may well be the transport and cabling arrangement
                          (I2S, plus special silver HDMI cable), but the DAC does wonders for the
                          naturalness of the sound from my Oppo and DaySequerra tuner also,
                          compared to what those sound like with the TacT doing DA duties, so I'm
                          not sure.

                          >>> ymm <yipmangmeng@...> 1/2/2010 7:19 PM >>>

                          Hi Tom,

                          I am certain that the prof had not heard CDs through PS Audio Perfect
                          Wave.

                          Is there any review of the PS against the Richard's digital marvel?

                          What makes the PS so good at extracting info from CDs or is it a case
                          of enhancement?

                          best,
                          Yi

                          Those who think CD is inadequate just haven't heard CD reproduction at
                          the PS Audio Perfect Wave level. It is more than adequate. I can
                          directly compare the 24/176.4 Reference Recordings HRx disc of RR 48
                          Arnold Overtures with the ordinary CD. Both sound wonderful. Yes, the
                          HRx disc sounds a bit better, but it is NOT night and day better and
                          if
                          the HRx didn't exist I would say that the CD replay is exemplary. I'm
                          not even sure that the HRx discs are worth the $45 price tag given the
                          small difference in playback quality on my system.

                          >>> ymm <yipmangmeng@ yahoo.com. sg (
                          /mc/compose?to=yipmangmeng%40yahoo.com.sg )> 1/2/2010 8:44 AM >>>

                          From: Charlie Daniell <danvetc@bellsouth. net (
                          /mc/compose?to=danvetc%40bellsouth.net )>
                          To: regsaudioforum@ yahoogroups. com (
                          /mc/compose?to=regsaudioforum%40yahoogroups.com )

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 3 5:32 AM

                            My experience with both the Perfect Wave DAC and Transport is that the transport made more of an audible difference than did the DAC as compared with my Denon transport playing through the Denon receiver.  However, that was using Gradient Helsinki speakers not the Harbeth M40.1s which I now have.

                            Regards,

                            Al

                            From: Charlie Daniell <danvetc@bellsouth. net (
                            /mc/compose?to=danvetc%40bellsouth.net )>
                            To: regsaudioforum@ yahoogroups. com (
                            /mc/compose?to=regsaudioforum%40yahoogroups.com )
                            Date: Saturday, 2 January, 2010, 9:12 PM

                            .

                            No news to anyone here, but I thought it was interesting to know that
                            the “average Joe” listener might be getting informed about what is
                            going on. This is from NPR interview with Bob Ludwig.

                            The Loudness Wars: Why Music Sounds Worse

                            http://www.npr. org/templates/ story/story. php?storyId=
                            122114058&sc= nl&cc=mn- 20100102 (
                            http://www.npr. org/templates/ story/story. php?storyId= 122114058&
                            amp;sc=nl& amp;cc=mn- 20100102 (
                            http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122114058&amp;amp;sc=nl&amp;amp;cc=mn-20100102
                            )
                            )

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 3 7:01 AM
                               Hi Al,

                              You bought the M40.1?  And I remember your having a huge problem with the M40 which you sold within a year of purchase.

                              best,
                              Yip

                              From: Charlie Daniell <danvetc@bellsouth. net (
                              /mc/compose? to=danvetc% 40bellsouth. net )>
                              To: regsaudioforum@ yahoogroups. com (
                              /mc/compose? to=regsaudioforu m%40yahoogroups. com )
                              Date: Saturday, 2 January, 2010, 9:12 PM

                              .

[...]

                              Get your new Email address!
                            • Bomwell, Alan
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 3 7:32 AM

                                The M40.1s have much smoother bass response in my room.  There are room mode resonances at 63Hz and 40Hz.  The 63Hz resonance is attenuated at the listening position with the phase control on the JL sub.  The one at 40Hz is controlled by analog EQ.  I’m using a pair of Gradient Helsinki 1.5s for the surround channels.  The surround sound system, with well recorded material, is remarkable!   To my ears, the Harbeths sound much better on large scale symphonic music than do the Gradients;  better tonal balance and weight.

                                target="_blank">yipmangmeng@ yahoo.com. sg> 1/2/2010 7:19 PM

                                From: Charlie Daniell <danvetc@bellsouth. net (
                                /mc/compose? to=danvetc% 40bellsouth. net )>
                                To: regsaudioforum@ yahoogroups. com (
                                /mc/compose? to=regsaudioforu m%40yahoogroups. com )

                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 31, 2010
                                  Happy New Year , Everybody.
                                  Just to start the New Year off right,
                                  here is a recording I think you will like:
                                  Telarc Busoni Piano Concerto
                                  and it is perhaps music that is not familiar
                                  to everyone. If you do not know it, I
                                  assure you it is well worth getting acquainted
                                  with. And the sound is good.

                                  Happy New Year to all,
                                  REG

                                  PS I am putting up another dog photo--Kara the beautiful.
                                  Allure Blazing who?(Actually Allure Blazing Star is beautiful,too--
                                  that is a joke!)
                                • David Ethève
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 1 8:38 AM
                                    Happy new year to you Robert and to all of you contributing on this wonderfull group.
                                    I wish you all lots of love, joy and of course music.
                                    David

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 31, 2011
                                      Happy New Year! to everybody.
                                      May your treble be sweet and extended,
                                      your midrange pure and neutral,
                                      your lower mids and upper bass
                                      full and natural, and your bass
                                      going on down forever in 2012.

                                      And more seriously, may you keep your heart
                                      open to the spirit music and to those in need of
                                      your help, of all species.

                                      Happy New Year!

                                      REG
                                    • musica_pt
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 1 4:34 AM
                                        A nice song for getting the year off to a good start ;-)

                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

                                        Best,
                                        Ricardo
                                      • Ken Holder
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 1 11:00 PM
                                          At 08:59 PM 12/31/2011, Robert wrote:

                                          >Happy New Year! to everybody.
                                          >May your treble be sweet and extended,
                                          >your midrange pure and neutral,
                                          >your lower mids and upper bass
                                          >full and natural, and your bass
                                          >going on down forever in 2012.
                                          >
                                          >And more seriously, may you keep your heart
                                          >open to the spirit music and to those in need of
                                          >your help, of all species.
                                          >
                                          >Happy New Year!
                                          >
                                          >REG

                                          Amen to that!

                                          Ken Holder
                                        • listentwice2002
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 2 7:32 AM
                                            Hi Kevin
                                            Ripping CDs and playing from harddisc without optical problems and related jitter and error correction has many advantages.
                                            I have corrected polarity when required and treated my favourite files with Shuffling, finally EQed to my liking  so I can play a personalized version that meets my taste and all my requirements.
                                            My CD-player is rarely in use now.

                                            In former years I hoped not to become victim of a car crash, now its the harddisc crash...
                                            br HM
                                          • kevindoyle.forum
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 2 4:07 PM

                                              That's funny, HM.  Make sure you're backing up regularly!

                                              The only thing that holds me back from having everything ripped is laziness, otherwise my CD player would be collecting dust, too.  But, I am lazy and it still gets plenty of use.

                                            • tonycdk
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 2 7:31 PM

                                                HM

                                                Could you remind us of exactly how to process shuffling

                                                Tony

                                              • listentwice2002
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 3 2:03 AM
                                                  Hi Tony
                                                  I use Adobe Audition 3.0 - the required stereo tool is not included with later versions.
                                                  Details sent with private mail
                                                  br HM