Re: Speaker and sweet spot arrangement in a room

  • Jo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
      Hi Yip,

      IMHO, if nodal line effects is to be minimised, no toe-in positioning, with speakers capable of wide and even spread of dispersion for on-axis and off-axis measurement as wide as 45 degree, and forming an equilateral triangle with the sweet spot a must.

      I know this may rub up the wrong way to a lot of people here. But I am here and stand to be corrected.

      Best Regards,
      Jo

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, ymm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jo,
      >
      > Can you let the group knows how the speakers should be set up in relation to the sweet spot in a room and why it should be so?
      >
      > best,
      > Yip
      >

      > New Email names for you!
      > Get the Email name you've always wanted on the new @ymail and @rocketmail.
      > Hurry before someone else does!
      > http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/sg/

    • ymm
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010
        See Jo, how easy ideas can be written out so clear that everyone can understand your position.

        My question is my attempt at getting this out from you and it is the answer I expected.

        Not even your listening "kaki" ( leg, in Malay = a close friend)  KM understand this, methinks.

        KM,any comment?

        best,
        Yip

        IMHO, if nodal line effects is to be minimised, no toe-in positioning, with speakers capable of wide and even spread of dispersion for on-axis and off-axis measurement as wide as 45 degree, and forming an equilateral triangle with the sweet spot a must.

        I know this may rub up the wrong way to a lot of people here. But I am here and stand to be corrected.

        Best Regards,
        Jo

        --- In regsaudioforum@ yahoogroups. com, ymm <yipmangmeng@ ...> wrote:

        > Hi Jo,
        >
        > Can you let the group knows how the speakers should be set up in relation to the sweet spot in a room and why it should be so?
        >
        > best,
        > Yip
        >

        > New Email names for you!
        > Get the Email name you&#39;ve always wanted on the new @ymail and @rocketmail.
        > Hurry before someone else does!
        > http://mail. promotions. yahoo.com/ newdomains/ sg/

        Importing contacts has never been easier.
        Bring your friends over to Yahoo! Mail today!
      • yipmangmeng
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2010
          HI Jo,

          So short of owning a MBL speaker and ilk and the NRC-based speakers, it would not be sensible of audiophiles to listen at a subtended angle of 90 degrees at the sweet spot to the loudspeakers,right?

          They should only arrange their speakers subtending at sweet spot at 60 degrees.

          So Blumlein recordings is out for them, because if they toe-in their speakers , they would not get the purest sound reaching their ears due to NL disturbances?

          What say you, Tom and Al?

          best,
          Yip

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2010
            It is easily demonstrable in a decent set up that Blumlein recordings sound best with about 90 degrees of separation. They sound comparatively "confused" spatially with less. You may not notice the "confusion" because any two-miked affair starts out with a huge reduction in spatial confusion compared to multimike or even three-mike jobs. But Blumlein recordings get even better with wide separation, there can be no doubt. There is a point as you lean or move forward where the images and stage really come into focus. Better yet if you listen in the near field. Still better if you pad the reflection points of the room. We've been over and over this. These effects are quite significant and easily experimented with.

            I will admit that if your tweeters are too hot on axis you may not like the hot treble you get from aiming them at your ears. Besides hot treble, the treble lighthouse effect kind of anchors too much of the sound at the speaker location. But that is the speakers' fault, not a set up problem. Using Harbeths with the SEAS tweeter or the Gradients and there is no problem. There is no problem with Ohms, Legacy Whispers, or Cello Strads, either. Perhaps this is because for many years I have made it a rule not to buy speakers which sound too hot to me on what I consider naturally balanced program material when the speakers are aimed at my ears.