Live AND memorex

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2009
      Last night I heard the pianist Alfred Brendel give a masterclass at New England Conservatory in Boston. It was a wonderful lesson in the education of the musical imagination.

      The audio angle was that Brendel was wearing a microphone so that his comments could be heard through two widely separated monitor speakers. The speakers were placed at the edge of the stage in Jordan Hall. The house crew did not cut the mike feed when he was demonstrating on the second piano, so we got his live sound a split second AFTER the sound reinforcement from the speakers (which were closer to the audience). This gave his playing a phase randomized halo; it sounded all warm and fat. The "hyper-piano" had the odd effect of making the students (who were playing without reinforcement) sound threadbare by comparison, even though theirs was the true live sound.

      Interesting parallel to what happens with spaced-omni pickup?

      Edward