Re: challenge

  • jeff stake
    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 1, 2009
      Yes, it was a comment both on audiophilia, as you mention, and more directly on the Joshua Bell discussion on this forum. People commented on how sad it was that almost no one noticed him. Others suggested reasons for that. What is demonstrated in the video challenge is that there is another reason people miss things. We have a lot of processing power in our brains, but it is not unlimited. We run right into those limits in some situations, and visual observation is one of them. Szigeti is a great example of the brain's limited ability to process audio. The basketball demonstration is a nice lesson to some of those who say they would have noticed Joshua Bell, or whatever else it is that others missed. Once you are told about it, you cannot help but see it. But before they are told, most people miss it if they are concentrating on another task. For one to say that he or she would have been one of the ones who noticed is to claim a lot for his or her self unless he or she can state the reason that he or she observes in a different way.

      Jeff Stake

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greene" <regonaudio@...> wrote:

      > Maybe it was a commentary on audiophilia?
      > That audiophiles concentrate on tiny points while there
      > are gorillas in the room of audio, huge errors going on?
      > That is what I took the relevance to be(I am assuming that
      > everyone noticed the gorilla suited person after a while).
      >
      > This video is/was part of a study, or motivated by a study anyway, that showed the importance of directed attention in perception,
      > that truly wild and outrageous things can be overlooked if one is
      > concentrating on something else. The relevance of this to sonic testing seems to me qutie clear.
      >
      > Interestingly , the same can be true about music. I recall Menuhin
      > talking about how Szigeti, for all his greatness as a violinist and musician in general, was useless as a judge at violin competitions, because he would concentrate on whether the competitors were doing certain narrow things as he thought they ought to be done and would ignore the overall question of how well the competitors were playing.
      >
      > Of course everyone is like this to some extent. But in extreme cases...
      >
      > A typical example is the well known story of how some calculating prodigy went to a play. At the end, he knew exactly how many words each actor had said. But he did not know what the play had been about!
      >
      > REG
      >

      > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Fred <glenndriech@> wrote:
      > >

      > > What was intended by posting this?
      > > Kindly state the point and relevance of the challenge openly.
      > > Fred.

    • Will_H
      Message 47 of 47 , Aug 6, 2009
        In between as well.