Re: power cords

  • carokandefence
    Message 1 of 53 , Jul 2, 2009
      The power cable is a big mystery to me as to why it works. I have owned and use them and the effects are startling. Even more mind boggling when I found out the best combination of power cord is :

      The most expensive power cord from wall to power conditioner
      and the less expensive power cords to the CD and amp.

      Shunyanta has a lot of papers on their theory and worth a good read. RH thinks Shunyanta is phenomenal. In my neck of the woods,
      audiophiles have moved beyond Shunyanta and found more snake oils.

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Rook" <rooknrol@...> wrote:

      > Can you point out please where there are measurements showing noise generated by a
      > piece of audio gear is put onto the mains supply and affects other audio equipment. There
      > may be a theoretical possibility that this happens but what is the audible and measureable
      > result, I believe it will be found that any effect is the swamped by the natural noise floor in the
      > preamp and power amps.
      >
      > Ted
      >

      > On 2 Jul 2009 at 13:04, carokandefence wrote:
      >
      > > The last meter is actually the first meter as noise will transmit
      > > along the power cord back to the wall or Power conditioner.
      > >
      > > A well designed power cord (many fancy models available) is suppose to
      > > suppress this noise. Otherwise this noise will affect the
      > > Interconnects (I think the effects are minimal as IC are shielded) and
      > > Speaker cables (I do think the effects are minimal as speaker cables
      > > are shielded too).
      > >
      > > But fancy power cables do have a significant effect and I am lost on
      > > the exact science and theory. --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com,
      > > "Tom Mallin" <tmallin@> wrote: > > I'm not sure I follow this.
      > > Power is transmitted in alternating current form, not as direct
      > > current. The last meter is still alternating current. The
      > > transformation to direct current is the job of the power transformer
      > > inside the electronics, unless the equipment uses a wall-wart power
      > > transformer. > > >>> "carokandefence"

    • Victor Lee
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 6, 2009
        Hi Ted,

        Apart from being light and efficient, the TacT 2150 amps sound as good as the best analog amp I have heard. Its digital noise, emitted from the power cord as well as the speaker cables, does not seem to affects its own sonic quality.

        Digital circuits can be affected by noise, just like analog circuits. When properly designed and implemented, digital circuits can be quite noise immune.

        Victor