Re: power cords

  • carokandefence
    Message 1 of 53 , Jun 30, 2009
      I do not think it is the high purity copper in the case of power cables that makes the key difference. Power cables guys throws a lot of smoke and there are other factors that are more important.

      I think it is the case of RF and EMI within the power cables that makes the difference.

      Most equipments have rectifier that switches continuously and these create alot of noise back into the power cable. A properly designed cable is able to suppress these noise.

      Shunyanta puts silica gel (and IP that if I am correct) that absorbs the EMI or RF in the cable.

      It is not the 1000 ft of transmission. It is the last meter of your equipment as there is a live and neutral that connects to the equipment and there is where (it alternates) and the noise starts.

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greene" <regonaudio@...> wrote:

      > The point I was trying to make is that if electricity is flowing through ,say, a hundred feet of garden- variety wire (and it is often much more to the closest transformer upstream which is the real voltage source for the wall outlet) supplied by your local power company, then what can one really expect in the way of improvement by making the last meter particularly nice.(We won't even talk about the miles and miles of wire that led to that transformer!)
      >
      > The last meter can of course act as a filter. It can remove RF for example or filter out other higher frequency noise.
      >
      > But can any of you(or indeed anyone at all) offer even a faintly plausible explanation of why it would help to make that last meter out of say high purity copper?
      >
      > After a hundred feet of wires off reels of the cheapest kind the only property of which that was of interest was a large enough guage to conduct without heating up and inuslation sufficient for safety?
      >
      > Can any of you offer even a glimmer of logic for using high purity copper or the like in power cords in this context?
      >
      > REG

    • Victor Lee
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 6, 2009
        Hi Ted,

        Apart from being light and efficient, the TacT 2150 amps sound as good as the best analog amp I have heard. Its digital noise, emitted from the power cord as well as the speaker cables, does not seem to affects its own sonic quality.

        Digital circuits can be affected by noise, just like analog circuits. When properly designed and implemented, digital circuits can be quite noise immune.

        Victor