Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: Dipole bass "punch"?

  • robert jorgensen
    Message 1 of 109 , May 3, 2009
      I suspect that Goran is not here to answer but of course he is right
      that many signals that we casually identify as bass have very large
      amounts of higher frequency components.

      It was not at all my impression though that this was what we are
      discussing here.

      My impression was we where more thinking of low q bass response in a
      well or perhaps highly damped system.

      In another post it was mentioned that whacking a bass drum you get
      quite a long tail. If this comes from the drum itself it should of
      couse be reporduced as such. If the tail comes from the speaker/room
      we have a problem.

      Greetings from Brussels

      Robert

      On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Goran Finnberg <mastering@...> wrote:
      > Robert Jorgensen:
      >
      >> Exactly where is the connection to Bass punch here?
      >
      > Music, Sound and Sensation
      >
      > Fritz Winkel
      >
      > Dover ISBN 0-486-21764-7
      >
      > Page 34/35:
      >
      > "In musical sounds the characteristic overtone spectrum (Formant) and
      > the onset and decay transients are of equal importance."
      >
      > "This is unfortunately overlooked in recent works on musical aesthetics,
      > which again and again deal only with the stationary part of a sound
      > through its overtone structure."
      >

      > --
      > Best,
      >
      > Goran Finnberg
      > The Mastering Room AB
      > Goteborg
      > Sweden
      >
      > E-mail: mastering@...
      >
      > Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
      > make them all yourself.    -   John Luther

    • Mitch Smith
      Message 109 of 109 , May 9, 2009
        Undoubtedly your experience, noted below, was entrancing. But it doesn't
        quite suggest that the world would be better off if all of his amplified
        work was discarded.

        I've got a copy of Ella Fitzgerald's "The Intimate Ella" with just her
        and a solo piano. It is simply wonderful, but it doesn't eliminate the
        fact that I also love her work in front of a big band. And my large
        collection of rock music isn't going anywhere, either.

        One can draw endless analogies in other areas. The fact that there are
        some wonderful, very simply made films doesn't preclude big-budget
        movies with grand special effects from also being a very enjoyable
        experience. I'm glad we have both.

        Take any art pursuit - one can always argue that there is too much of
        one type and not enough of another, but the world has always been full
        of fads and fashions of the moment that leave a certain segment of the
        population scratching their heads.

        - Mitch