Brahms/Telarc download

  • Goran Finnberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
      Hi Alan,

      The soundfile that you have ripped is of the type .wma, Windows Media
      Audio, which is Microsofts answer to mp3 file type.

      As this type of file is NOT lossless and will make changes to how the
      actual 44/16 truly sounds no conclusions at all can be drawn listening
      to such a file as the codec will throw away a lot of the original
      information.

      I need a 44/16 uncompressed wave file that has not been tampered with by
      lossy compression like .wma and mp3 while convenient as the file size
      shrinks quite markedly it WILL change the sound and this is not
      acceptable at all.

      Sorry for the inconvenience but I need that 44/16 wave file to draw
      accurate conclusions.

      Thanks!

      --
      Best,

      Goran Finnberg
      The Mastering Room AB
      Goteborg
      Sweden

      E-mail: mastering@...

      Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
      make them all yourself. - John Luther
    • Tip Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
        Hi Goran,

        > I need a 44/16 uncompressed wave file that has not been
        > tampered with by lossy compression like .wma and mp3 while
        > convenient as the file size shrinks quite markedly it WILL
        > change the sound and this is not acceptable at all.
        >
        > Sorry for the inconvenience but I need that 44/16 wave file
        > to draw accurate conclusions.

        You must have missed the following message from Al:

        "OK, here is the new file lossless file of the Brahms."

        https://rcpt.yousendit.com/647770278/87b077d9a37ef1708aaad41f4e42dc27

        Best,
        Tip

        PS. It sounds fine to me, but then when it comes to violins I wouldn't know Steely from Dan ;^)
      • Bomwell, Alan
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009

          Thanks, Tip!

          Al

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
            Hi Al,

            > Thanks, Tip!
            >
            > Al

            As I said before that I'm not really qualified to comment on violin sound, but I did notice that the violins at the beginning do not
            sound like they do in the rest of the piece. I wouldn't call it harsh or grainy, but all I hear is the string and not the resonance
            or harmonics of the violin body. It sort of sounded like a clean high note on an electric guitar. (Didn't Brahms play electric
            guitar for the Yardbirds before Clapton and Beck?) ;^)

            Tip
          • Bomwell, Alan
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009

              Yes, Tip, that was Brahms’ gig J