Re: SACD and CD

  • charles452003
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
      RE: WFMT Chicago and radio in general.
      While the noise levels reproduced are different, most of the programing
      that is prerecorded is all digiitized via a PC D to A converter card.
      And then all of that is sent via microwave to the downtown transmitter.
      So, the analogue days of prominent stations in major markets having an
      analogue line to there transmitter (spec. WFMT) are bascially gone.
      And they have been using Technics direct drive turntables with as I
      remember a single post arm (perhaps an Audio Technica) for many years,
      no longer an SME. And as I remember, the arm was not mounted
      correctly. And by now they may have the entire library digitized,
      since all the program host would do is use a touch screen
      to select the next number from the program directors list.
      Analogue is dead at all major stations. At the Clear Channels studio,
      the audio boards are all more like digital workstations. No real audio
      in them. That is all at the equipment rack.

      Norm
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
        What you are saying about radio stations these days may generally be true, but WFMT is not that automated.  You can frequently hear the announcers fiddling with CD cases.  There are occasional battles with CD players which get hung up on a particular balky CD and refuse to play past a certain point.  Sometimes the announcer will interject an apology and attempt to fix the problem with that machine or try playing the CD in another machine, sometimes successfully, sometimes not.  There are also occasional mistakes where the host announces what he is playing next and the music starts, then stops again because the announcer or machine made a  mistake in programming the track and what started to play was not what was intended.  If the station were as automated as you say, this stuff would all be edited out.  Also, members of the WFMT Fine Arts Circle (who provided nearly half of the station's financial support) often have an opportunity to tour the studios and meet the hosts and sit in the control rooms with the hosts while they are live on the air.

        >>> ncrelich@... 11/2/2008 2:04 PM >>>
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:regsaudioforum-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:regsaudioforum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • charles452003
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
          WFMT autiomation.
          while its been 2 or 3 years since my last visit, I don't think
          they have dropped all the automation. The chief engineers long term
          goal at that time was to have there entire library avaialble on the
          touch screen. And the program director really has the say so for
          regular programming, excluding the syndicated Midnight show which is
          taped live in the daytime and rebroadcast, or the Midnight Special
          Program which is also generally pretaped and programmed by the host.
          So, the host just hits the item on the touch screen that is already
          in the computer as programmed by the program director. A friend of
          mine who is the chief engineer at WLS AM and FM, our local ABC
          station, has told me several years ago that all the songs that are
          played at their station , are also played from the computer. Once
          they are in the computer, he does not have to worry about errant CD
          players. And this is the standard in the
          industry these days for major stations. Though WXRT,a CBS Disney
          station as is WLS, has been an exception for many years, who knows
          if they won't also begin to put the songs on the computer with the
          moving of their studio from the original location at 4949 w. Belmont.
          Norm