Re: [regsaudioforum] Revolution in listening

  • Will
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
      I'm planning to buy myself one of these for Christmas too.

      I have no interest in streaming my music from my computer, but when I found
      out that the Squeezebox Duet can also stream radio stations over the
      internet without having to turn on my computer, done deal!

      Glad to read that it works well.

      Will

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
        Just another option for enhanced "radio" listening:

        Most cable TV providers and most satellite TV providers include a bunch of music channels within their basic service.  DirecTV in the US, for example, provides a wide sampling of the XM Radio satellite radio stations.  Comcast has their own mix of music channels which provide a much different and equally interesting mix.  If you already have either of those services coming into your home, it may be a simple matter to add a "set top box" to your audio system, bring in a coax wire with the satellite or cable feed, and send the box output to your preamp.  Those with combination home theater and audio systems are already doing this, of course.

        I've been using an old Sony A3 DirecTV box in my dedicated audio room for a few months now.  It is so early, it doesn't even have a Dolby Digital or other digital output.  I run its analog output into my TacT's A/D converter.

        The resulting sound is excellent, even in my reference system where I can compare such radio to WFMT's live over-the-air signal played through my Sansui TU-X1 vintage tuner, which is about as good as FM radio reception gets in my area or most anywhere else.  I have the Comcast cable music channel service available at all my TV sets which accompany other AV systems in the house and Sirius satellite radio in my cars.  I'd say that the sound of these satellite/cable services has improved markedly in the past couple of years.

        Since I have no video display in my reference system and no internet-connected computer in this room, I can't see what's playing, but that's part of the fun.  Part of what I like about radio is the "surprise" of unfamiliar programming and it can't get much more unfamiliar than never hearing or seeing what's playing.  Still, I'm sure the Squeezebox display or any small video display is worth having so you can take mental or written notes about what you like for future purchasing reference.  But, frankly, when I'm playing the music channels through the systems connected to the Comcast cable service, I usually leave the TV monitors off.

        Yes, Piano Jazz is a great program.  Our local PBS outlets in Chicago have carried it for many years.  Another programming hint:  If you get a chance to hear Wynton Marsalis' program, "Jazz at Lincoln Center," give it a listen.  The fidelity is often phenomenal for radio and the programming is great, straight-ahead jazz of the type Wynton's own bands usually play.  One place you can hear it is WFMT's digital feed Friday evenings at 9:00 Central time.  http://www.jalc.org/jazzcast/j_radio.asp

        >>> hifi@... 9/30/2008 11:42 PM >>>
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to: