Re: JV gets MBL 101 X-treme'd [Berlin Phil]

  • HM
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi Marty
      The aspect of the architect to let people gather around the musicians
      has proven successful and the acoustics are very good too. The
      amphitheater style supports acoustics and sharing the music with as
      many visitors as possible and making the music a central part of the
      gathering - all these aspects are integrated perfectly.
      Musicians and architects do no longer discuss this controversely here.
      It is simply the modern opposite of the private concerts when the king
      financed some composers and had the music played at court.
      Regards Hans-Martin

      > Although I just posted a few comments about the sound of the
      Philharmonie, there is a great virtual tour at the orchestra website.
      I hope this link is successful:

      > http://www.begehungen.de/wh/phil/rundgang/index.htm
      >
      > To get a user adjustable perspective from either the stage or from
      some of the hall seats, click on "saal" in the lower portion of
      whatever image comes up. Then use the mouse and screen controls to
      navigate accordingly. I think you'll quickly appreciate why the hall
      is so unusual and controversial (at least it was when it was built in
      1960-63).
      > Marty

    • amadeuswus
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 3, 2008
        Goran,

        DG recently used the "Scoring Stage" in Berlin for
        Zimerman/Rattle/Berlin Phil's recording of the Brahms 1st piano
        concerto.

        http://tinyurl.com/6ds3wc

        The tonmeister was Ulrich Vette and the booklet praised the special
        acoustics of this space.

        The orchestral sound has tremendous heft. You really hear the
        reserves of power in the Berlin basses. The piano sounds a little
        spread out (at least if one's speakers are 90 degrees apart), but
        overall this recording is kind to the music.

        I am curious if others here have heard it.

        Edward

        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Goran Finnberg <mastering@...>