RH's Wilson Alexandria Set Up

    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 9 1:45 PM
      See:

      The speakers are practically in the room corners with what I'd judge to be about 30 to 40 degrees of separation from the listening seat.  Not my idea of an ideal set up for any speakers, much less speakers with omni bass and probably lots of soundstage depth capability.
    • Robert Greene
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 20 9:01 AM
        I have become quite curious.

        WHY did you care which speaker cables I was using?

        Did you really honestly think this would make
        a change in the content of the review of a
        fundamental nature? That it would suddenly make
        a bass heavy speaker into a light weight or vice versa?
        A cable that would do a thing like that would have
        to be defective, I think.

        What is the point in worrying about this?
        It was no kind of secret and still isn't what kind
        of speaker cables I was using.

        I was just so uninterested in the question that I
        did not get around to answering
        it for a long time. I have actually already forgotten
        the name of the cables(I guess I could look it up).
        They work all right according to the manufacturer.

        Now actually, I would, if the speaker did not have those
        unusual connectors probably try out some other cables
        just as a matter of course. I have a bunch around, incuding
        some high priced stuff. But in all honesty, I have
        never found a cable change to make a large shift in my
        view of a speaker. It could happen, I suppose. But it never
        has.

        Changing amps has made a difference as it happens.
        Especially with metal dome tweeters, a band-limited amp
        can sound a good bit different from a wide bandwidth one for example.
        But good cables seem to be pretty much just that, good.
        A summary of personal experience, obviously.

        This does not mean that all cables sound alike! But the changes
        are not of the sort in my experience that changes the essential
        nature of a speaker.

        You may disagree, but that has been my experience.

        What is the source of this obsession with which cables are used?
        Have you found a cable change to make a wonder out of a turkey of a
        speaker? Ever? Example?

        REG