Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: top ten recording engineers

  • Goran Finnberg
    Message 1 of 49 , Apr 2 3:07 PM
      REG wrote:

      > The behavior of any transducer that is reasonably free of
      > distortion is described by its frequency response (and phase
      > behavior). It is just obfuscation to say it isn't.

      Resolution Magazine:

      Stephan Peus:

      "Regarding the sound of a mirophone:

      With the aid of comprehensive technical data in accordance with existing
      standards, we endeavour to provide customers with extensive information
      concerning individual microphones.

      Nonetheless, even with a great deal of additional data, we realise that
      we can never really describe the sound of a microphone.

      Serious customers always take into account the directional
      characteristics, sensitivity, dynamics, and self-noise values, for
      example, in addition to the frequency response.

      However, unfortunately such important aspects as the impulse response of
      a microphone do not appear in any standard.

      In fact, a microphone is a three-dimensional sensor that converts sound
      into electrical signals in the frequency and time domains.

      Thus, the frequency response represents only one aspect of the overall
      properties of a microphone.

      This fact also indicates the weakness of microphone modellers that
      cannot model the impulse response of a microphone or its behaviour in
      three dimensional space.

      --
      Best,

      Goran Finnberg
      The Mastering Room AB
      Goteborg
      Sweden

      E-mail: mastering@...

      Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
      make them all yourself. - John Luther
    • Ken Holder
      Message 49 of 49 , Apr 17 6:21 PM
        At 07:17 AM 4/15/2008, Goran Finnberg wrote:

        So have you really not noticed that the DELOS Tchaikovsky 5 & 6 sounds
        entirely different due to two entirely different recording engineers and
        two entirely different recording philosophies??

        Of course I noticed. Also two different recording
        locations, which probably has even more effect on
        the sound. I like 'em both, sound and performance.
        Would love to hear the Philadelphia live some day,
        but what's the chance of that ever happening?

        Ken Holder
        Just a Poor, Old, Simple, Country, Music-Lover