Cossi Fan Tutte

  • ingridstaysout
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
      For an opera 'novice' such as myself, what a delight hear Mozart
      (Cossi Fan Tutte)in my first visit to our new opera house here
      (Miami, FL). The architects and acousticians seem to have succeeded
      in creating a very good sounding venue. Sitting in the third tier
      (nose-bleed territory) the sound of the voices was absolutely clear,
      even when sung sotto-voce. Borrowing from the Bayreuth (?) opera
      house, the orchestra is in a pit that extends back beneath the stage,
      so that the brass, basses and percussion are actually covered by the
      stage. The balance between instruments and voices seemed ideal.
      Being used to the 8 to 12 basses of a symphony orchestra, I missed a
      bit the heft of that frequency range in the abbreviated Mozartian
      orchestra (3 basses, and covered) but otherwise found nothing amiss.
      Just thought I would share my impression of what appears (to me) to
      be a successful modern music hall, and could even lead me to a much
      greater appreciation of opera (other than Mozart's, which I'm already
      beginning to love).

      Next month I'll hear the first in a series of three concerts by the
      Cleveland Orchestra in the new next-door concert hall. I'll be
      interested to compare the two (or is that comparing apples to
      oranges?). Reviews have been mixed. There are more options
      available for tuning the hall, according to the type of music being
      presented, and if the wrong options are chosen the results can be -
      I've read - quite disappointing.

      Meanwhile, I've had the happy reminder that there is nothing quite
      like the excitement of the live performance. And also, that - for
      me - Mozart's most wonderful music may be found in his operas.

      Ned
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
        I am a big fan of Mozart operas myself, especially the Magic Flute
        and of course Don Giovanni.
        Amazing stuff.

        REG

        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "ingridstaysout"
        <nedmast2@...> wrote:

        > For an opera 'novice' such as myself, what a delight hear Mozart
        > (Cossi Fan Tutte)in my first visit to our new opera house here
        > (Miami, FL). The architects and acousticians seem to have
        succeeded
        > in creating a very good sounding venue. Sitting in the third tier
        > (nose-bleed territory) the sound of the voices was absolutely
        clear,
        > even when sung sotto-voce. Borrowing from the Bayreuth (?) opera
        > house, the orchestra is in a pit that extends back beneath the
        stage,
        > so that the brass, basses and percussion are actually covered by
        the
        > stage. The balance between instruments and voices seemed ideal.
        > Being used to the 8 to 12 basses of a symphony orchestra, I missed
        > bit the heft of that frequency range in the abbreviated Mozartian
        > orchestra (3 basses, and covered) but otherwise found nothing
        amiss.
        > Just thought I would share my impression of what appears (to me)
        > be a successful modern music hall, and could even lead me to a
        much
        > greater appreciation of opera (other than Mozart's, which I'm
        already
        > beginning to love).
        >
        > Next month I'll hear the first in a series of three concerts by
        the
        > Cleveland Orchestra in the new next-door concert hall. I'll be
        > interested to compare the two (or is that comparing apples to
        > oranges?). Reviews have been mixed. There are more options
        > available for tuning the hall, according to the type of music
        being
        > presented, and if the wrong options are chosen the results can be -

        > I've read - quite disappointing.
        >
        > Meanwhile, I've had the happy reminder that there is nothing quite
        > like the excitement of the live performance. And also, that - for
        > me - Mozart's most wonderful music may be found in his operas.
        >
        > Ned

      • Sethian1
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
          --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "regtas43" <regonaudio@...>
          wrote: "I am a big fan of Mozart operas myself, especially the Magic
          Flute and of course Don Giovanni."

          I like to play a Mozart opera full tilt whenever I am doing some
          elaborate cooking on a weekend. When a great aria arrives, I abandon
          the kitchen for the LR and sit and listen for the few moments.

          Bob
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
            If you like opera on film, I recommend this(which actually is a film,
            not a filmed stage production).
            http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Giovanni-Maazel-Raimondi-
            Kanawa/dp/B00005UW7G

            Especially if you ever get a chance to see it in a theatre.

            And of course there is the famous Bergmann Magic Flute.

            REG

            --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Sethian1" <rtyrka@...> wrote:

            > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "regtas43" <regonaudio@>
            > wrote: "I am a big fan of Mozart operas myself, especially the
            Magic
            > Flute and of course Don Giovanni."
            >
            > I like to play a Mozart opera full tilt whenever I am doing some
            > elaborate cooking on a weekend. When a great aria arrives, I
            abandon
            > the kitchen for the LR and sit and listen for the few moments.
            >
            > Bob

          • Bob Stern
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
              >regtas43 wrote:
              >
              >If you like opera on film, I recommend this(which actually is a
              >film, not a filmed stage production).
              >http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Giovanni-Maazel-Raimondi-Kanawa/dp/B00005UW7G

              I agree. Raimondi radiates malevolence as Don Giovanni.

              Another wonderful opera on video is Rossini's Cenerentola filmed at
              La Scala with Fredericka Von Stade. The entire production has a
              great sense of fun. I have it on VHS, but I don't know whether it
              was transferred to DVD.
              --

              Bob Stern