why speakers do not work except up close

    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 30, 2007
      There is something interesting in the new
      issue of Sphile. It is a set of measurements on
      a Dynaudio 2-way.
      On axis the speaker is quite flat, albeit with a couple
      of dB too much treble.
      But there are also measurements of the in-room response
      at a 15' distance, as the speaker was listened to for the listening
      review. Here the response shelves down abruptly
      at the top of the woofer range: abruptly means 5 dB or so.

      Now most people agree that the in-room response at distance ought to
      roll off gradually in the top end. But such an abrupt shelf is
      to my mind likely to sound like a coloration: I think it will make
      the speaker sound oriented towards the frequencies in the octave
      below the dropoff. In any case, it seems to me very unlikely to sound
      smooth and neutral.

      This is not a commentary on this particular speaker, which I have not
      encoutered. I just thought it was interesting. Atkinson describes the
      speaker as having superb measurements. But right there in black and
      white one can see that the sound at the listening position as
      reviewed is very odd indeed--at least to my eyes.

      This also makes it clear that room correction has some limits!
      There is NO WAY to make the shelf-down go away except by giving up
      the flat direct arrival--and such a "correction" would sound probably
      even stranger than the speaker as is. The problem simply cannot be
      solved except by using a different speaker or by sitting closer or
      changing the room acoustics. In particular it cannot be solved by
      electronci means.

      Anyway,worth a look, I think.

      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 24, 2007
        PS Actually, I do not think the speakers quasianechoic measurement
        is all that nice, either. It is top and upper mid oriented, and
        damped down in the bass comparatively(Atkinson mentions this but
        describes it as if it could be a positive choice, with some words
        like "emphasizing clarity". I would describe this kind of balance as
        emphasizng tinniness.).

        This is not really the point of my remarks earlier, which had to do
        with the odd in-room behavior in the particular room used. But this
        is not my kind of speaker anyway. I am really mystified by why
        people want small speakers on stands in the first place. The floor
        space is the same as a larger speaker on a shorter stand(or a floor
        stander when it comes to that).If anything it is defacto more than a
        floor stander because you have to watch out for not knocking the
        stand mounted small speaker over. It is an unstable item. And it
        offers chances to the designer to have a larger cabinet. So what is
        the point unless you like the fake sense of space attached to early
        diffraction...

        REG

        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "jeff stake"