Re: Studio Speech and Harbeths

  • laurie482000
    Message 1 of 87 , Oct 5, 2007
      Probably my last gasp for a while. I hope it doesn't sound
      precocious on my part to say, that single instrument tracks and
      speech etc presumably only form part of loudspeaker music tests. It
      was sometimes said by reviewers of say Ralph West's generation, that
      speakers can sound OK on single instruments and small scale stuff,
      but all may not be so good when the going gets rough and the music
      complicated, with many instruments playing at once.

      I had some experience earlier this year, when trying out 11ohm LS3/5a
      V1s and M30s for a day's session at a friend's house, with a largish
      nicely proportioned listening room. He has Musical Fidelity MC2s
      which together with the MC4s, had rave reviews 20yrs ago, but soon
      disappeared off the scene, maybe because they used Audax drive units -
      went out of business I think. They have always sounded fair -
      extended non boomy bass - on a casual listening, but this session was
      an eye opener. We'd both just heard Scheherazade at a concert the
      previous evening and we started off with my friend's Beecham
      recording (the one that has been talked about here before and agree
      sounds very good).

      The MC2s seemed a bit ponderous and also laid back to me, though I
      kept quiet. The 3/5s were the opposite of course, but also held on
      to the detail quite a lot more - but they had difficulty in coping
      with a room this size, sounding a bit shouty on the loud stuff. The
      M30s, not quite so forward, really excelled if you forgive the pun,
      dealing with the loud complicated bits easily and cleanly when the
      MC2s really seem to lose grip of any detail at times - even my friend
      agreed. Also things could be heard in quiet bits on the M30s that
      were sometimes there with the 3/5s, but more often missing on the
      MC2s - but those speakers are 20 years old and maybe they've aged.
      They use early metal dome tweeters so maybe this is a factor too, but
      the reviews did comment on their good clean treble. Maybe I'll
      include some response plots (which I remember looked good) in a few
      weeks time.

      My friend's wife likes the laid back sound of the MC2s though and
      they probably are good for casual listening, whereas the M30s and
      3/5s do force you to listen - but if you want to listen to music,
      they are much more involving. My friend, knowing that he's due for a
      speaker upgrade, hung on to the 3/5s for a while and said that they
      made everything sound more interesting, but he needs bigger speakers
      there. He's showing interest in the C7-3s following the recent HFN
      review, and they probably are slightly less intense than the M30s so
      lets hope they appear in some UK shops and he can try them.

      Laurie
    • Richard Tuck
      Message 87 of 87 , Oct 15, 2007
        Hi Guys

        Decide for yourselves if it is biased, BBC News 24 is streamed live, watch
        it for a while http://news.bbc.co.uk/.

        As to the organisation's liberal leanings I guess there are plenty of lovies
        in there who tend to be that way but imagine the fracas if people were asked
        to disclose their political leanings in a job interview.

        There have been some real cock-ups lately in my view due to two factors:

        1) Out-sourcing a lot of content production because it is cheaper.
        Remember, it was a content providing company that messed up the interview
        with the Queen.

        2) As a rule the personality profile of lovies makes them poor managers.

        The above has me painting with a very broad brush without much evidence but
        I believe it's along the right lines.

        Finally, few privatisations of national institutions really succeed

        Richard