Re: opera recording by Telarc

  • laurie482000
    Message 1 of 87 , Oct 1, 2007
      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "regtas43" <regonaudio@...>
      wrote:
      > Telarc is doing a new recording of La Boheme in Atlanta.

      It will be interesting to see reviews of this and see how it compares
      with my Decca Karajan (a bit hard sounding I seem to remember) and
      Chandos (a bit better) versions.

      I don't know many Telarc operas, but after some hesitation, did buy
      the Mackerras 'Pirates of Penzance' earlier this year 2nd hand, as it
      was cheap. Have never been a great G&S fan - emanating from the
      school orchestra days when I seemed to have to play it too much.
      However, I'm a bit nervous of mentioning here that I now actually
      rather enjoy listening to this CD - some of the tunes are really
      rather nice. The sound is full, as per normal with Telarc and
      bounces along nicely, with the singing only a little bit prominent,
      whereas many opera recordings are much worse, as noted here before.

      Laurie
    • Richard Tuck
      Message 87 of 87 , Oct 15, 2007
        Hi Guys

        Decide for yourselves if it is biased, BBC News 24 is streamed live, watch
        it for a while http://news.bbc.co.uk/.

        As to the organisation's liberal leanings I guess there are plenty of lovies
        in there who tend to be that way but imagine the fracas if people were asked
        to disclose their political leanings in a job interview.

        There have been some real cock-ups lately in my view due to two factors:

        1) Out-sourcing a lot of content production because it is cheaper.
        Remember, it was a content providing company that messed up the interview
        with the Queen.

        2) As a rule the personality profile of lovies makes them poor managers.

        The above has me painting with a very broad brush without much evidence but
        I believe it's along the right lines.

        Finally, few privatisations of national institutions really succeed

        Richard