Re: [regsaudioforum] Measurement Microphone

    Message 1 of 63 , Jul 3, 2007
      Question:  As long as the calibration file is detailed and calibrates an individual (as opposed to generic) mike to a known standard reference, such as an expensive B&K instrumentation mike, does it matter at all how wildly variable the inherent response of the particular mike is before calibration?  I think that is what TacT is doing with their mikes.  The mike is cheap, but assuming the calibration file is detailed and is based on an accurate standard mike, would one get any better results by using an inherently flatter mike with a suitable calibration file applied to that inherently flatter mike?

      On the TacT forum, there has long been discussion of the supposed variations among the responses of the TacT mikes supplied with the TacT electronics, as well as whether or not the calibration files are accurate.  I'm not sure how one can determine calibration accuracy without actually owning a mike you "trust" to be truly flat, such as a $5,000+ B&K.

      >>> rooknrol@... 07/03/07 03:09PM >>>
      On reflection my use of "toy" was a bit too dismissive, falling into the same trap as Bob!
      Precision doesn't usually come cheap is my main point. Linkwitz has on his website a project
      to make a measurement mic using  a $2 electret capsule, but that project requires a lot of
      time.

      The Behringer route may work for home audio because you are always measuring the same
      room, you don't need absolute precision but only relative precision which is another name
      for consistency, which would be the case with a single, imprecise, mic, it is always the same
      imprecision so all measurements are affected equally.

      Ted

    • Bob Stern
      Message 63 of 63 , Jul 11, 2007
        Sorry, I omitted the URL. Click the blue arrows at the bottom for
        detailed specs:
        http://www.linearx.com/products/microphones/m31/M31_1.htm

        https://xlinearx.merchantquest.net/order/OrderTop.htm
        --