Re: [regsaudioforum] Measurement Microphone

  • Ted Rook
    Message 1 of 63 , Jul 3, 2007
      On reflection my use of "toy" was a bit too dismissive, falling into the same trap as Bob!
      Precision doesn't usually come cheap is my main point. Linkwitz has on his website a project
      to make a measurement mic using a $2 electret capsule, but that project requires a lot of
      time.

      The Behringer route may work for home audio because you are always measuring the same
      room, you don't need absolute precision but only relative precision which is another name
      for consistency, which would be the case with a single, imprecise, mic, it is always the same
      imprecision so all measurements are affected equally.

      Ted

      On 3 Jul 2007 at 15:18, Ted Rook wrote:

      > Yes it's listed as US$375 plus shipping at NTI America webshop.
      >
      > My support of Neutrik is based on their track record as a serious audio engineering
      > operation for the past 30 years. I have no connection to them other than as a happy
      > customer. But I will defend them against trivialization.
      >
      > I received an individual calibration certifcate which shows the individual serialized mic
      > response 20 Hz to 20kHz traced on the form you have seen which is the tolerance window
      > for the IEC standard 60651. This is a factory measurement to a published standard, you
      > can't get any better than that. Do you know the accuracy of Giradin's service? What will you
      > do when you find your mic is not so flat as the Behringer "typical" chart? Add together the
      > cost of the phantom power box and preamp, cables and calibration service. At the end of the
      > day do you have something of lasting value or a toy?
      >
      > Ted
      >

      > On 2 Jul 2007 at 21:47, Bob Stern wrote:
      >
      > > >Ted Rook wrote:
      > > >
      > > >The most reasonably priced mic I know of with individual calibration
      > > >is made by Neutrik, the
      > > >same company that makes jacks and XLrs, they have a test instrument
      > > >division. The mic is
      > > >known as a miniSPL. It is battery powered and requires no
      > > >powersupply or preamp, you can
      > > >go straight into a PC or Mac once you have the correct XLR to 1/8"
      > > >mini-jack adapter. They
      > > >can be found and purchased on line at Neutrik's USA website here nti-audio.com
      > >

      > > I did a Froogle search, and the lowest price I found was $340. Is
      > > that about right, or am I way off?
      > >
      > > The MiniSPL microphone product page is:
      > > <http://www.nti-audio.com/Home/Products/Minstruments/MiniSPL/tabid/61/Default.aspx>
      > >
      > > If you click the Downloads tab and then download the "typical
      > > calibration certificate", the frequency response does not look very
      > > impressive. The "individual calibration" appears to be merely a
      > > verification that it meets specs, which are +/- 1 dB from 100 to 1250
      > > Hz but only +/- 3 dB outside that range. Doesn't seem good enough
      > > for someone trying to correct a subwoofer. There's no indication
      > > that you get a calibration file with the mic.
      > >
      > > If you buy an uncalibrated mic like the $50 Behringer, you can send
      > > it to a calibration service like Girardin ($40) to get a calibration
      > > file. That seems like the cheapest approach, albeit not the most
      > > elegant.
      > > --
      > >
      > > Bob Stern

    • Bob Stern
      Message 63 of 63 , Jul 11, 2007
        Sorry, I omitted the URL. Click the blue arrows at the bottom for
        detailed specs:
        http://www.linearx.com/products/microphones/m31/M31_1.htm

        https://xlinearx.merchantquest.net/order/OrderTop.htm
        --