Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: suggested recording(s)

  • Hiroyuki Hamada
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
      I will look for that one also.  Thank you.

      Hiroyuki

      On Jun 30, 2007, at 9:02 PM, regtas43 wrote:

      I am pleased that you liked it. I think it is really beautiful.
      And one certainly does not hear it very often live(anywhere except
      Germany, not very often is probably never)

      If you liked that, you should look for Mielsen's Hymnus Amoris
      . This actually is performed occasionally(outside of Denamrk)--I
      heard the LA MAster Chorale do it some years ago.
      Anyway, it is a really beauty,too.
      I like the Danish EMI(Mogens Woldike conducting as I recall).
      But there are other recordings,too, if one cannot find that one(it
      did appear on CD having been originally on a record).

      REG

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Hiroyuki Hamada <hhamada@...>
      wrote:

      > Thank you for the music recommendation,REG. I will try that one.
      >
      > A while ago you have mentioned about Bruch's "the Song of the
      Bell",
      > and since then it became one of the pieces that I come back to
      once
      > in a while. It's a monumentally beautiful music. I highly
      recommend
      > the piece also.
      >
      > Hiroyuki
      >
      > On Jun 30, 2007, at 1:02 PM, regtas43 wrote:
      >

      > > People have asked me from time to time to suggest some recordings
      > > like, in addition to those mentioned on www.regonaudio.com
      > >

      > > So here is a thought: I suggest the Telarc Strauss tone poems with
      > > Vienna conducted by Previn. It is hard to believe that these are
      now
      > > twenty years old!! But of course CD is now 25 years old nearly.
      > > Time flies...
      > >
      > > These are not my Blumlein ideal by any means, stereo delineation
      is
      > > not their strong point, and one can hear a bit of extra sheen from
      > > the mikes (or something). But they are really gorgeous anyway.
      > >
      > > The Vienna Philharmonic is one of the world's most beautiful
      > > sounding orchestras, their hall is THE hall for Romantic
      orchestral
      > > music, the orchestra members were born to Strauss and the works
      > > written to be played by this orchestra, and Previn is fine(who
      knows,
      > > maybe he just went with the flow, but for whatever reason...).
      This
      > > is sound and playing that can sweep you off your feet with its
      pure
      > > beauty.
      > >
      > > Even though CDs often vanish from the market in an instant, after
      > > twenty years these are still around(I just checked on Amazon).
      Maybe

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
        I am (not surprisingly , being a stone Romantic) a big admirer of the
        Rachmaninoff 2. Sanderling on Teldec is wonderful--really really SLOW
        (which I like).Sounds good too--not too close up. The Telarc from
        Baltimore is also very good sounding.
        People have started to do the uncut version(which is a good thing I
        think). (When I was growing up on this piece it was often cut a bit).
        Historically, there is Ormany and the Philadelphia(Rachmaninoff loved
        the Phildelphia Orchestra, which he described as ideal for his music).
        I heard Ormandy do this piece live when I was in my late teens. What
        a charge!(This was in Hill Auditorium at the University of Michigan,
        during one of the "May Festivals")

        REG

        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Bob Stern <bob_stern@...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
          I have not heard the Teldec, but concur on the sound of the Telarc with Baltimore/Zinman--it is not really slow, though, and is in fact livelier than some other versions I've heard.

          >>> regonaudio@... 07/01/07
          11:38AM >>>

          wrote:

          > >regtas43 wrote:
          > >
          > >I suggest the Telarc Strauss tone poems with Vienna conducted
          by
          > >Previn. It is hard to believe that these are now twenty years
          old!

          > I love the Telarc CD of Rachmaninoff sym #2 by Previn
          & Royal Phil.
          > It has the romantic ebb and flow I love in
          Rachmaninoff.  However,
          > the critics seem to prefer other Previn
          recordings.  It's very
          early
          > digital, so it has a certain
          fuzziness.
          > --
          >
          > Bob
          Stern

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
            I meant that the Sanderling is the one that is slow!
            Zinman is kind of middle of the road for tempo, but
            nice sound. This is in the usual Telarc context of no very precise
            stereo but the tonal character is very attractive.

            REG

            --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mallin" <tmallin@...>