[regsaudioforum] Re: Diamond Tweeter!

    Message 1 of 46 , May 1, 2007
      I have no real evidence of what I called the "voicing peak" was intentionally added.  I just meant that these lower-down peaks couldn't be the ultimate tweeter resonance since they are not big enough or have a high enough Q.

      On the other hand, B&W could certainly get the response flatter than this if they wanted to, assuming the measurements accurately reflect the actual behavior of the speaker, and I trust JA's experience on that count.  Could this elevation be meant to add back a perception of detail sucked out and covered over by the Kevlar midrange yet further down?

      These B&W speakers don't sound obviously really bright.  Making the upper bass generous ("ripe" the review says) balances the overall tonal impression considerably, compared to what they would sound like without a generous mid to upper bass.  That is a type of "voicing," I'd say.

      >>> regonaudio@... 05/01/07 02:55PM >>>
      Thanks for posting this up. I had a look.
      I have not heard the speaaker, but the four-five dB peak at 10k and a
      little below worries me.

      With all due deference to GF, I do not see how this could sound
      correct.
      Of course one could DSP it to flat. But four dB is a good bit.
      Try it for yourself if you want to: put a four dB peak at 7-10 k into
      your speaker.

      Incidentally, materials colorations are usuall;y felt to involve
      breakup patterns and response issues related thereto.
      I think it is true that the diamond tweeter is quite free of breakup
      to way high.

      I am curious about the "voicing peak" concept. Is it your belief(TM )
      that the 8-10k thing and the peak below were done on purpose?
      I would be glad to know.

      REG

      PS For what is is worth, the "natural" behvior of a pistonic radiator
      free of breakup in not flat--there is a rise in higher frequencies
      associated to the change in air loading followed eventually by a
      rolloff.  One has to do things to speakers to make them flat!

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Tom Mallin<tmallin@...> wrote:

      > Stereophile's test of the
      B&W 802D diamond tweeter model does show
      that the ultimate tweeter resonance is way above the audible range.
      There are voicing peaks further down the spectrum, however, and the
      Kevlar midrange is still there to limit ultimate midrange clarity and
      naturalness.
      http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1205bw/index4.html

      It must sound like carbon.
      > Or like expensive :)
      >
      > BTW a
      speaker sound like its material only if the material is allow
      to play its own sound. Seriously: each material has its own
      frequencies off course. If these frequencies fall into the range of
      frequencies to be reproduced by the driver then some colouration will
      be added (non-linear distortions). If the frequencies are outside
      this range then it is a question how a crossover will suppress them.

      > So IMO the idea behind the diamond tweeter
      is to get very high cone
      resonance frequencies due to the high rigidity of the diamond.
      Outside of the working range of the tweeter.

      Uli

      href="http://www.avalonacoustics.com/dia.html">http://www.avalonacoustics.com/dia.html ), the model more or less
      > originally designed for the Reference
      Recordings studio? I've never
      > imagined a speaker disphragm can be made
      of diamond!

      > We all know that speaker sounds like its material.
      For example,
      metal
      > cone sounds metallic. But diamond? :P
      >
      > mike

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:regsaudioforum-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:regsaudioforum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • joel
      Message 46 of 46 , May 5, 2007
        Boron is still quite widely used for cartridge cantilevers, but there are questions of cost
        and supply. AFAIK there are only a couple of cantilever assembly manufacturers left.
        Beryllium never really caught on because, as so vividly explained, it is difficult and
        dangerous to manipulate, but IIRC Yamaha is part of the Sumitomo Heavy Industy keiretsu
        (a much less significant fact no than it was 20 or 30 years ago) and is also a large
        manufacturer and designer of LSIs among amny other things, which provides access to a
        range of industrial processes and manufacturing skills most hifi companies can only
        dream about.

        > If by "such applications" you mean cartridges, I don't know about carbon
        > nanotubes, but Dynavector has had models with solid diamond cantilevers,
        > such as:
        >
        > http://www.dynavector.com/products/cart/e_17d3.html

        > The health and safety implications of dealing with beryllium and its
        > oxide
        > are very onerous. The key issue is to avoid inhaling or getting skin
        > penetration of any dust from working the material - causes berylliosis
        >
        > http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic222.htm
        >
        > When I worked on microwave tubes we used beryllia ceramicsReceived: from PLRBDOM-
        MTA by mail.plrb.org
        because they