Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: new material on www.regonaudio.com

  • george day
    Message 1 of 136 , Jan 31, 2007
      Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: new material on www.regonaudio.com Guys, we’re talking about computerized room measurement here.  A chimp could run a mic to a computer, run a line from the computer to the stereo, press a button and get the results.  It is very, very, very easy to do.

      On 1/31/07 8:14 PM, "Tom Mallin" <tmallin@...> wrote:

      Me three.

      It seems to me that the makers of DSP speaker/room correction systems could do themselves a huge economic favor by realizing that we are no longer in the era where consumers expect to have to grapple expertly with computer technology in order to make use of it.  We are in the i-Pod and Vista age and consumers expect computers to be darn near plug-and-play with approaching-Star-Trek-like ease of interactivity.  Can't we at least have a nice clear step-by-step instruction manual approach listing recommended hardware and software, how to install and configure the software, how to plug it into an existing audio system, and instructions with clear screen shots as to how to use the product to obtain the desired results?  According to AHC's recent TAS review of the latest Tact XP product, it still doesn't have a decent owner's manual, even after several generations of product.

      Or maybe the idea that the manufacturer should be able to tell consumers how to use its products is (or is becoming) an old-fashioned idea.  Maybe modern users enjoy such group networking self-help. We're all here, aren't we?

      Right now, DSP speaker/room correction systems are the new DIY of audio.  You really have to know your computer stuff to play.  There is comradery among those who can play, as well as a certain macho satisfaction, I'm sure.  But to make this technology more widely accepted, it will have to require less of the end user.

      >>> danvetc@... 01/31/07 08:10PM >>>
      Me and you, Ned. Me and you.

      Charlie
      Master of the Queen’s English.

      Message 136 of 136 , Feb 3, 2008
        Paige has just now put up the two reviews I wrote some time back of
        the Townshend Rock Reference and Rock Mk III turntable/arm combos.

        I think these remain of contemporary interest--the general picture has
        not changed.

        The current issue of TAS is about vinyl playback. I was not able to
        write for this issue because the items I was hoping to review were
        delayed(later on, those reviews will appear in due course in TAS.)
        But if you are interested in my general views, these are reflected in
        the newly posted Townshend articles.

        Have fun,