Re: best speaker

  • yipmangmeng
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
      Sounds like the Dali Megalines in a 7 ft high room.

      If the McIntosh XRT28 had better mid drivers and a continuous ribbon
      > tweeter (instead of a lot of not too good little individual tweeters)
      > and actually was floor to ceiling one might be getting pretty close.
      >
      > REG
    • Neal Van Berg
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
        Greetings REG,

        I accept your challenge.  By this time next year I will have designed and built the worlds most perfect speaker.

        I will invite you over to review it at that time.

        Neal

        regtas43 <regonaudio@...> wrote:

        In my opinion, the "best speaker" would have to be very directional in
        the sense of producing no room sound to speak of and  have to be free
        of floor bounce, but would have to sound like a point source within
        its (narrow) listening window.

        Not easy to do --and not easy to think of contenders.

        If the McIntosh XRT28 had better mid drivers and a continuous ribbon
        tweeter (instead of a lot of not too good little individual tweeters)
        and actually was floor to ceiling one might be getting pretty close.

        REG

        Regards,

        Neal Van Berg

        Fax 303 660 6554

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • yipmangmeng
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
          Hi Neal,

          What recordings will you use as reference to build that perfect
          speaker?
          The paradigm problem you know.

          regards,
          Yip

          --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Neal Van Berg <nealvb@y...>
          wrote:
          > Greetings REG,
          >
          > I accept your challenge. By this time next year I will have
          designed and built the worlds most perfect speaker.

          > I will invite you over to review it at that time.
          >
          > Neal
          >

          > regtas43 <regonaudio@a...> wrote:
          >
          > In my opinion, the "best speaker" would have to be very
          directional in
          > the sense of producing no room sound to speak of and have to be
          free
          > of floor bounce, but would have to sound like a point source
          within
          > its (narrow) listening window.
          >
          > Not easy to do --and not easy to think of contenders.
          >
          > If the McIntosh XRT28 had better mid drivers and a continuous
          ribbon
          > tweeter (instead of a lot of not too good little individual
          tweeters)
          > and actually was floor to ceiling one might be getting pretty
          close.

          > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts
          Electronics hobby Audio electronics

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > Regards,
          >
          > Neal Van Berg
          >
          > Fax 303 660 6554
          > http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Neal Van Berg
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
            I will use test signals from my Agilent Function Generator, and make sure that the reflected sound is 10 db below the direct sound.above 120 Hz or so, some experimenting will be necessary.

            The real trick as far as I am concerned is to get a system that can image as well as Tony Knights without having to build a room like Tony did.  That will be something extraordinary.

            Neal

            wrote:
            > Greetings REG,

            > I accept your challenge.  By this time next year I will have
            designed and built the worlds most perfect speaker.

            > I will invite you over to review it at that time.

            > Neal
            >

            > regtas43 <regonaudio@a...> wrote:
            >
            > In my opinion, the "best speaker" would have to be very
            directional in
            > the sense of producing no room sound to speak of and  have to be
            free
            > of floor bounce, but would have to sound like a point source
            within
            > its (narrow) listening window.
            >
            > Not easy to do --and not easy to think of contenders.
            >
            > If the McIntosh XRT28 had better mid drivers and a continuous
            ribbon
            > tweeter (instead of a lot of not too good little individual
            tweeters)
            > and actually was floor to ceiling one might be getting pretty
            close.

            > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts
            Electronics hobby Audio electronics

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > Regards,
            >
            > Neal Van Berg
            >
            > Fax 303 660 6554
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            Regards,

            Neal Van Berg

            Fax 303 660 6554

          • Neal Van Berg
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
              Hi Yip,

              We know that recordings vary quite a bit as do our ears prefrences.

              In all fairness to REG, I had decided to  build the best speakers I could earlier today.

              I plan on shamelessly stealing other peoples inventions that work.  Dipole Bass,Active Crossovers, Room corection.  The only taboo will be physical room treatment.

              wrote:
              > Greetings REG,

              > I accept your challenge.  By this time next year I will have
              designed and built the worlds most perfect speaker.

              > I will invite you over to review it at that time.

              > Neal
              >

              > regtas43 <regonaudio@a...> wrote:
              >
              > In my opinion, the "best speaker" would have to be very
              directional in
              > the sense of producing no room sound to speak of and  have to be
              free
              > of floor bounce, but would have to sound like a point source
              within
              > its (narrow) listening window.
              >
              > Not easy to do --and not easy to think of contenders.
              >
              > If the McIntosh XRT28 had better mid drivers and a continuous
              ribbon
              > tweeter (instead of a lot of not too good little individual
              tweeters)
              > and actually was floor to ceiling one might be getting pretty
              close.

              > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts
              Electronics hobby Audio electronics

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > Regards,
              >
              > Neal Van Berg
              >
              > Fax 303 660 6554
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

              Regards,

              Neal Van Berg

              Fax 303 660 6554

            • ymm
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
                Mentally, Neal?

                wrote:
                > Greetings REG,

                > I accept your challenge.  By this time next year I will have
                designed and built the worlds most perfect speaker.

                > I will invite you over to review it at that time.

                > Neal
                >

                > regtas43 <regonaudio@a...> wrote:
                >
                > In my opinion, the "best speaker" would have to be very
                directional in
                > the sense of producing no room sound to speak of and  have to be
                free
                > of floor bounce, but would have to sound like a point source
                within
                > its (narrow) listening window.
                >
                > Not easy to do --and not easy to think of contenders.
                >
                > If the McIntosh XRT28 had better mid drivers and a continuous
                ribbon
                > tweeter (instead of a lot of not too good little individual
                tweeters)
                > and actually was floor to ceiling one might be getting pretty
                close.

                > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts
                Electronics hobby Audio electronics

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > Regards,
                >
                > Neal Van Berg
                >
                > Fax 303 660 6554
                > http://mail.yahoo.com

                Regards,

                Neal Van Berg

                Fax 303 660 6554

                Do you Yahoo!?
                New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 1GB free storage!
              • ymm
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
                  How do you know it images well?
                  Using the Chesky "rainbow" test and "surround" test with two frontal speakers?

                  wrote:
                  > Greetings REG,

                  > I accept your challenge.  By this time next year I will have
                  designed and built the worlds most perfect speaker.

                  > I will invite you over to review it at that time.

                  > Neal
                  >

                  > regtas43 <regonaudio@a...> wrote:
                  >
                  > In my opinion, the "best speaker" would have to be very
                  directional in
                  > the sense of producing no room sound to speak of and  have to be
                  free
                  > of floor bounce, but would have to sound like a point source
                  within
                  > its (narrow) listening window.
                  >
                  > Not easy to do --and not easy to think of contenders.
                  >
                  > If the McIntosh XRT28 had better mid drivers and a continuous
                  ribbon
                  > tweeter (instead of a lot of not too good little individual
                  tweeters)
                  > and actually was floor to ceiling one might be getting pretty
                  close.

                  > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts
                  Electronics hobby Audio electronics

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------
                  >

                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Neal Van Berg
                  >
                  > Fax 303 660 6554
                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  Regards,

                  Neal Van Berg

                  Fax 303 660 6554

                  Send instant messages to your online friends http://asia.messenger.yahoo.com

                • Neal Van Berg
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
                    What do you mean?

                    ymm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:
                    Mentally, Neal?

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
                      I thought you were joking,starting to build the speaker right away.
                      Must be evening over at  your side.

                      Neal Van Berg <nealvb@...> wrote:
                      What do you mean?

                      ymm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:
                      Mentally, Neal?

                      wrote:
                      > Greetings REG,

                      > I accept your challenge.  By this time next year I will have
                      designed and built the worlds most perfect speaker.

                      > I will invite you over to review it at that time.

                      > Neal
                      >

                      > regtas43 <regonaudio@a...> wrote:
                      >
                      > In my opinion, the "best speaker" would have to be very
                      directional in
                      > the sense of producing no room sound to speak of and  have to be
                      free
                      > of floor bounce, but would have to sound like a point source
                      within
                      > its (narrow) listening window.
                      >
                      > Not easy to do --and not easy to think of contenders.
                      >
                      > If the McIntosh XRT28 had better mid drivers and a continuous
                      ribbon
                      > tweeter (instead of a lot of not too good little individual
                      tweeters)
                      > and actually was floor to ceiling one might be getting pretty
                      close.

                      > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts
                      Electronics hobby Audio electronics

                      Service.

                      > ---------------------------------
                      >

                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Neal Van Berg
                      >
                      > Fax 303 660 6554
                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Regards,

                      Neal Van Berg

                      Fax 303 660 6554

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                      New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 1GB free storage!

                      Regards,

                      Neal Van Berg

                      Fax 303 660 6554

                      Meet your soulmate!
                      Yahoo! Asia presents Meetic - where millions of singles gather

                    • Neal Van Berg
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
                        It is the consequence of years of experience in the pursuit of truth, justice and the sublime.

                        Some things are obvious, the universe exists.

                        Neal

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
                          I'm in the Mountain Time Zone, I got to listen to the Linkwitz Labs Orions earlier today.  I found it to be an inspiring experience.

                          Neal

                          ymm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:
                          I thought you were joking,starting to build the speaker right away.
                          Must be evening over at  your side.

                          Neal Van Berg <nealvb@...> wrote:
                          What do you mean?

                          ymm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:
                          Mentally, Neal?

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005

                            ymm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:
                            I thought you were joking,starting to build the speaker right away.
                            Must be evening over at  your side.

                            Neal Van Berg <nealvb@...> wrote:
                            What do you mean?

                            ymm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:
                            Mentally, Neal?

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
                              I am reading a book by Colin McGinn,The Making of a Philosopher.
                              There is a passage when he was asked ,are you sure that there is a
                              universe when there are NO minds, by a lecturer during his 1st year
                              philosophy course.

                              wrote:
> [...]
                              > ribbon
                              > > tweeter (instead of a lot of not too good little individual
                              > tweeters)
                              > > and actually was floor to ceiling one might be getting pretty
                              > close.

                              > > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and
                              crafts
                              > Electronics hobby Audio electronics

                              > Service.
                              > >

                              > > ---------------------------------
                              > >

                              > > Regards,
                              > >
                              > > Neal Van Berg
                              > >
                              > > Fax 303 660 6554
                              > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                              >

                              > Regards,
                              >
                              > Neal Van Berg
                              >
                              > Fax 303 660 6554
                              >
                              > ---------------------------------
                              http://asia.messenger.yahoo.com

                              > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts

                            • ymm
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
                                Then, Neal, you must try to get an audition of the Gradient Revolution plus their dipole woofers.

                                www.gradient.fi,

                                ymm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:
                                I thought you were joking,starting to build the speaker right away.
                                Must be evening over at  your side.

                                Neal Van Berg <nealvb@...> wrote:
                                What do you mean?

                                ymm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:
                                Mentally, Neal?

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 4, 2005
                                  Hi Yip,

                                  When there are no more minds it won't matter if the universe exists or not at least to me.  I do hope that my sons have children and their children have children as long as life is close to good etc. Please don't ask me to define good in that sentence.

                                  Back to the speakers,  One would think that wall reflections, floor and ceiling reflections are the problem besides distortion.  Tony"s room absorbs most of the reflections above 200 hz and works very well.

                                  I haven't heard the Gradients yet so I don't know what they sound like so the following coments are based on theory or conjecture.

                                  The Orions switch over to the tweeter around 1400 Hz which has a wave length at sea level of about 9.7 inche or 246 mm.  The Baffle that the tweeter and the 8 inch or 203 mm Midrange is mounted to is 13 inches wide or 330 mm.  I presume then that there is no back radiation from 1.4 K on up and I did listen to the Orions from behind and while my ears aren't a calibrated frequency counter I couldn't hear much above the midrange frequncies.

                                  At 201 Hz wavelengths are around 5 feet or 1.7 m, so then the biggest differences between the two designs would be for the wave lengths betwen 5 feet and 10 inches.

                                  In the Gradient they only radiate forward and in the Orion these radiate in a figure 8 front and back but in the Orion those wave lengths cancel at the sides of the speaker forming the figure 8 pattern. So you would get less early side wall reflection with the Orion and no back reflection with the Gradient.

                                  A coax speaker should have certain mechanical advantages for time arrival but many speakers seem to deal with that OK.

                                  What do you think?  Have you heard both speakers?

                                  wrote:
> [...]

                                  > tweeters)
                                  > > and actually was floor to ceiling one might be getting pretty
                                  > close.

                                  > > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and
                                  crafts
                                  > Electronics hobby Audio electronics

                                  > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                                  > Service.
                                  > >

                                  > > ---------------------------------
                                  > >

                                  > > Regards,
                                  > >
                                  > > Neal Van Berg
                                  > >
                                  > > Fax 303 660 6554
                                  > > Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                                  > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  >

                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > Neal Van Berg
                                  >
                                  > Fax 303 660 6554
                                  >
                                  > ---------------------------------
                                  http://asia.messenger.yahoo.com

                                  > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts

                                  Regards,

                                  Neal Van Berg

                                  Fax 303 660 6554

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • ymm

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 5, 2005
                                      I have not heard the Orion but had heard Linkwitz' earlier design for Audio Artistry- the Beethoven. Good but not better than the Revolution except in the bass where it went lower.But with the new active Revolution and the add-on dipole woofers,I think the Gradient now should have the advantage to produce better bass and overall sound.
                                      I have a pair of passive Revolution and they are really good except for the highs which are not as smooth as the Harbeth M40s.They are a joy to position for excellent sound in - room as they essentially "ignores" the room.

                                      wrote:
> [...]

                                      > tweeters)
                                      > > and actually was floor to ceiling one might be getting pretty
                                      > close.

                                      > > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and
                                      crafts
                                      > Electronics hobby Audio electronics

                                      > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                                      > Service.
                                      > >

                                      > > ---------------------------------
                                      > >

                                      > > Regards,
                                      > >
                                      > > Neal Van Berg
                                      > >
                                      > > Fax 303 660 6554
                                      > > Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                                      > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      >

                                      > Regards,
                                      >
                                      > Neal Van Berg
                                      >
                                      > Fax 303 660 6554

                                      http://asia.messenger.yahoo.com

                                      > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts

                                      Regards,

                                      Neal Van Berg

                                      Fax 303 660 6554

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com