Re: Gradients and subwoofers

  • Sethian1
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 1, 2007
      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "regtas43" <regonaudio@...>
      wrote: I like the Hsu ,too. I tried one at home in connection with a
      sub survey for TAS at some point). REG

      I've been using the Hsu subs for the last six or seven years--one of
      the original designs that looked rather like a smallish bass drum. I
      positioned them, per Doctor Hsu's recommendations, flanking my
      listening chair. I covered their ugliness with quad-matched-flitch
      walnut burl and they serve as handsome end tables. Oh, yes. They go
      down to 20 Hz flat and the Virgil Fox CD that REG referred to
      reverberates the walls and structure of the room, riding right up into
      my body through a well-upholstered chair.

      Granted that the sub rarely has to kick in, but when a piece of music
      calls for it--and I recently discovered that I more and more favor
      choral music with its large forces--the impact of the organ, or the
      bass drum in Bach's Christmas Oratorio, on parts of Handel's Fireworks
      Musick, or the Dies Irae and Tuba Mirum in Berlioz' Requiem are
      overwhelming, utterly transporting and transcendent effects that leave
      me breathless.

      Bob
    • nedmast2@aol.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 3, 2007
        Hi Edward,

        That's a wonderful story about Anner Bylsma and the Servais cello.  I do have the recording of the Schubert Quintet with him and K. Slowik, and the Servias.  On the same label (S2K 48047) is Bylsma's second recording of the Bach suites, played on the Servais - lovely sounding instrument!

        Over the years of playing the cello I have naturally studied at various times the Bach suites (all but the 6th).  I find now that I'm really not interested in playing them with the bowings - and in the style - that my teacher presents.  But I don't have enough knowledge of Baroque performance practice to apply to the cello.  So, I'll just enjoy listening to them.  (Is it too late to get a Baroque cello, find a teacher, and study that period of performance?  Hmmm. . .)  But I wouldn't give up playing Brahms, Beethoven, Haydn, Mendelssohn, et al string quartets and piano trios!

        Yes, it's about time for Heinrich Schiff to come out with another recording of the Bach suites. . .

        Best,  Ned