50450Re: [regsaudioforum] Infinity Primus 363

  • ghqsw12
    Aug 7, 2014
      You guys are lucky. They cost around US $750 here.

      Yip

      On Thursday, 7 August 2014, 12:26, "regtas43@... [regsaudioforum]" <regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I spent some time with these today. Here is my view so far:
      First of all the speaker really is low in distortion and sounds it. And it is well integrated. You need to sit low or elevate the speaker--best sound on or slightly below tweeter axis. Above, things are not so good as in the best spots.
      Second, it is largely smooth, and above 1k very smooth indeed  but it is  not precisely neutral: the octave between 500 Hz and 1 kHz is recessed relative to what is below and above it and a bit bumpy. There is too much presence.  It actually took a good bit of EQ though almost all of the fairly smooth sort(not all though--there are those odd little bumps in the recessed octave) to get the thing to be say RTA flat and smooth at 1 meter from 500 Hz on up.
      (Some  reviewers proclaimed the speaker to be "dead neutral" in the midrange, which of course one sees clearly on Sphile's measurements(and my own-- if you had them would be similar) that it is not. As speakers go, it is pretty smooth but exactly neutral it is not. Perhaps some people do not know what a neutral speaker actually sounds like )

      This change makes a considerable difference on music. And on pink noise in and out with the EQ is like flashing a light off and on. A push up of a couple of dB of more than two octaves (1 to 10 kHz approx) is a BIG thing. This is 20 times the threshold of audibility(which is 0.1 dB broad band in this region). No doubt Infinity did this on purpose. This speaker probably was largely aimed at home theater and this push up  crisps up dialogue. But of course it is wrong for music , though the speaker is so low in distortion that it sounds better as is than one might expect.

      But fix the speakers up to be flat from 500 Hz on up by pushing up and flattening 500 to 100 and pulling down some above that --and do something about the bass(the speaker does not seem to share with PSBs floor standers the property of interacting with the floor to stay essentially flat below 500 Hz, though I may be able to do better on placement with a little more work) and it sounds remarkably good.

      Of course almost any low distortion speaker will sound good close up if you EQ it correctly(cf Gradient experiment as always).

      But what is intriguing about these is that you can back away from them quite a bit and they will still sound natural and uncolored and indeed  rather surprisingly concert like on suitable recordings.

      Oh, I suppose one might wish the off axis roll off started a bit higher up in frequency. Concert like can mean a bit extra subdued here perhaps. But still, it was quite an experience to listen to the Gade strong orchestra recording on Paula from 12 feet away with the  speakers wide apart(which they respond to well). Close your eyes and you could almost be there to a surprising extent.

      Of course audiophiles do not like this kind of natural sound, many of them. They think music is about detail and  immediacy. But if you like what concerts really sound like.. you can do a lot with these. Such is my first impression. I started out to listen to one band of the Gade and liked it so much I listened to the whole CD
      (Incidentally the name Gade is pronounced--more or less-- geh-the, first syllable as in get without the t second syllable as in "the" with the short e , as before a word beginning with a consonant[in English]. Not exactly --there is some strange hint of an l in there and the first vowel is a little towards an a from the short e in English-- but close enough not to sound like a total rube!   It means street in Danish. Maybe our resident Dane can explain it better.how to say it)

      Incidentally it does not work to leave the speaker alone and hope the rise above 1k will compensate at distance for the droop off axis with rising frequency. Maybe some intermediate position of EQ will make that work out and get the sound at distance a little livelier without being aggressive. But no EQ at all  lets the speaker be a bit too aggressive, even at distance or actually what I would call quite a bit too aggressive. One does hear the direct arrival of things in the higher frequencies.

      Life is complicated. But with everything all set up right. I think you could tell people this was some pricey item and get a lot of "learned" comments from audio people and that no one would say "cheap sound".

      Not quite the world's best tweeter to my ears. But one heck of a speaker over all. I have not heard much in audio that sounded a lot more like a string orchestra in concert  than that Gade recording with the speakers EQed right. I am glad I bought them.  And $238 a pair to my door, tax and extra warranty included..

      "The times. they are a changin' "

      REG

      PS The cabinet has a pitch! when you knuckle it.  It is curious to compare this to knocking on a BBC style speaker, which makes a sort of basically pitch-less thud. I have yet to figure out whether this matters much. More on this later.  It may be that the pitch corresponds to such a high Q resonance that it does not get excited much in practice.

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic