47633Re: [regsaudioforum] Desktop speakers - a hopeless cause?

  • Ted Rook
    Dec 5, 2013
      I don't associate the loss of quality you describe with proximity to a wall. What you describe
      might be distortion and coloration due to limitations of driver performance, or possibly the
      sound of an overdriven amplifier, but I don't think being 7 inches from a wall introduces these
      types of quality problems.

      Ted

      On 5 Dec 2013 at 12:51, mprager@... wrote:

      > My office system is a computer running JRiver, feeding flac files to
      > an external DAC (Lynx Hilo),
      > which in turn feeds a pair of Audioengine A5+ powered speakers. This
      > sounds good with small
      > groups, but when the music gets loud or complex, clarity and
      > dynamics are lost. It sounds better
      > through headphones.
      >
      > I have thought of replacing the Audioengines with either better
      > active monitors or a small stereo
      > amp and something like one of the smaller PSB speakers.
      >
      > Of the small PSB speakers, has anyone here compared, say, the Alpha
      > B1 to the Image B6 or the
      > Imagine B?
      >
      > Because the speakers are on my desk, and the desk is close to the
      > wall, the rear of the
      > Audioengines is only 7 inches (18 cm) from the wall. Am I deluding
      > myself by thinking it's possible
      > to get better sound from such a layout? This was intended to be a
      > just-good-enough second
      > system, but audiophilia is setting in.
      >
      > Thoughts welcome!

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic