47631Desktop speakers - a hopeless cause?

  • mike44402903
    Dec 5, 2013
      My office system is a computer running JRiver, feeding flac files to an external DAC (Lynx Hilo), which in turn feeds a pair of Audioengine A5+ powered speakers. This sounds good with small groups, but when the music gets loud or complex, clarity and dynamics are lost. It sounds better through headphones.

      I have thought of replacing the Audioengines with either better active monitors or a small stereo amp and something like one of the smaller PSB speakers.

      Of the small PSB speakers, has anyone here compared, say, the Alpha B1 to the Image B6 or the Imagine B?

      Because the speakers are on my desk, and the desk is close to the wall, the rear of the Audioengines is only 7 inches (18 cm) from the wall. Am I deluding myself by thinking it's possible to get better sound from such a layout?  This was intended to be a just-good-enough second system, but audiophilia is setting in.

      Thoughts welcome!
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic