47623Re: [regsaudioforum] RE: Stereophile's compoent of the year...

  • Michael Gillman
    Dec 4, 2013
      Robert you call it a "screamer" we call it detailed. ;-)

      On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM, <regtas43@...> wrote:

      I have not heard this particular speaker, But I have

      never reallylike any of the KEF concentrics. They

      have always sounded closed down to me.

      I would look at the smaller PSB speakers.

      Also, $1500 may not seem like much but it buys

      you are pair of PSB T6s. with money left over.

      On top of that, if you want small, I think the PSB Alpha B1s

      with a little EQ(and there is plenty of money left for EQ)

      are probably better speakers. Only a guess but...

      The trouble with this situation is the usual--

      no one much is actually comparing across price

      ranges so there is not much chance to find out

      what is really what.

      KEF is a careful conscientious company. But  the

      LS50 is a strangely measuring product. I think

      I would find it hard to take without pulling down the

      1-2 kHz range. The PSB ALphas can be tweaked with

      EQ to sound almost exactly correct but they sound reasonable

      without any such tweaking. The LS50 looks pretty odd here

      http://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-anniversary-model-loudspeaker-measurements

      If there measurements are taken at face value, it is a little screamer

      to borrow a phrase once popular at TAS.

      I would think three times.

      REG

      PS I cannot explain how people can find the sound indicated in

      fiture 6 tolerable--either one of them.  Not for me. Never has been,

      never will be. .

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic