47623Re: [regsaudioforum] RE: Stereophile's compoent of the year...

  • Michael Gillman
    Dec 4, 2013
      Robert you call it a "screamer" we call it detailed. ;-)

      On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM, <regtas43@...> wrote:

      I have not heard this particular speaker, But I have

      never reallylike any of the KEF concentrics. They

      have always sounded closed down to me.

      I would look at the smaller PSB speakers.

      Also, $1500 may not seem like much but it buys

      you are pair of PSB T6s. with money left over.

      On top of that, if you want small, I think the PSB Alpha B1s

      with a little EQ(and there is plenty of money left for EQ)

      are probably better speakers. Only a guess but...

      The trouble with this situation is the usual--

      no one much is actually comparing across price

      ranges so there is not much chance to find out

      what is really what.

      KEF is a careful conscientious company. But  the

      LS50 is a strangely measuring product. I think

      I would find it hard to take without pulling down the

      1-2 kHz range. The PSB ALphas can be tweaked with

      EQ to sound almost exactly correct but they sound reasonable

      without any such tweaking. The LS50 looks pretty odd here

      If there measurements are taken at face value, it is a little screamer

      to borrow a phrase once popular at TAS.

      I would think three times.

      PS I cannot explain how people can find the sound indicated in

      fiture 6 tolerable--either one of them.  Not for me. Never has been,

      never will be. .

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic