38604Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: U shaped foam frame around speakers

    Jun 13, 2012
      I just searched for these speakers on e-Bay, Audiogon, and nationwide on Craigslist.  As I suspected, none are offered for sale.

      On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Robert <regtas43@...> wrote:

      As I recall, TAS liked these pretty well, too.
      I can look this up. Certainly they were
      considerably discussed.
      REG

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Tom Mallin <tmallin4@...> wrote:

      > I don't think these speakers are being made anymore, Yip, even though the
      > designer is still alive and repairing the woofers. I once came "this
      > close" to buying them, but decided not to once I determined that the echo
      > muff concept did not have as beneficial effect on imaging and staging as
      > padding the walls. (In my current room, I also tried absorbing the back
      > wave of the Carver Amazings with Sonex placed a few inches behind them.
      > Same result.)
      >
      > Even a few years ago, the Watkins speakers were rare on the used market.
      > Not many were made, JGH's approval notwithstanding.
      >
      > On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM, mm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Looks like a tall Quad 63 and maybe someone may want to own such a vintage
      > > speaker. Tom?
      > >
      > > Yip
      > >
      > > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Tom Mallin <tmallin4@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > WOW!! A true blast from the past. That's the firm and those are the
      > > > images they used in the old ads. The Watkins was wide so as to build in
      > > > the echo muffs concept. The width probably also lowered the baffle step.
      > > > The Watkins woofer was used in many of the big Infinity systems from that
      > > > era.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic