964RE: Home School Day at the N.C. Transportation Museum

  • Stacey Roberts
    Oct 9, 2013

      Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 17:11:32 -0400
      Subject: Home School Day at the N.C. Transportation Museum

      Join the N.C. Transportation Museum in Spencer next Friday, October 11, for Home School Day. The day is a special opportunity for home school groups to explore the museum through workshops, guided tours and more.

      A Typical Schedule

      8 a.m. to 9 a.m. -- Welcome (check-in and site orientation)

      9:30 a.m. to noon -- Workshops and turntable ride. Some of the workrshops offered in the past are:

      • How Do We Get From Here to There? Mapping a route from Pennsylvania to Salisbury on the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road
      • How Do I Read a Map? Located in Bumper to Bumper
      • How Does This Work? Steam, Diesel, and Electric locomotives
      • Learning to Fly : Located in the Green Room with the Piedmont Airlines exhibit and Wright Brothers Flyer
      • Orientation Video/Turntable Ride
      • Time Zones in the RH Classroom
      12 p.m. to 1 p.m. -- Lunch (Please bring a picnic lunch.)

      1 p.m. -- Train ride

      1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. -- Free time to visit areas of the museum that you didn't get to see before and visit the gift shop.

      5 p.m.-- Museum and exhibits close

      Admission

      Admission is $12 for all attendees ages 3 and older. The price of admission includes all the activities associated with Home School Day.

      Get In Touch

      For more information or to register, please contact LeAnne Johnson by email or by phone at (704) 636.2889 ext. 258.

      Colorbar Footer
      About the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources
      The N.C. Department of Cultural Resources (NCDCR) is the state agency with a vision to be the leader in using the state's cultural resources to build the social, cultural and economic future of North Carolina. Led by Secretary Susan Kluttz, NCDCR's mission is to enrich lives and communities by creating opportunities to experience excellence in the arts, history and libraries in North Carolina that will spark creativity, stimulate learning, preserve the state's history and promote the creative economy. NCDCR was the first state organization in the nation to include all agencies for arts and culture under one umbrella.

      Through arts efforts led by the N.C. Arts Council, the N.C. Symphony and the N.C. Museum of Art, NCDCR offers the opportunity for enriching arts education for young and old alike and spurring the economic stimulus engine for our state's communities. NCDCR's Divisions of Archives and Records, Historical Resources, State Historic Sites and State History Museums preserve, document and interpret North Carolina's rich cultural heritage to offer experiences of learning and reflection. NCDCR's State Library of North Carolina is the principal library of state government and builds the capacity of all libraries in our state to develop and to offer access to educational resources through traditional and online collections including genealogy and resources for the blind and physically handicapped.

      NCDCR annually serves more than 19 million people through its 27 historic sites, seven history museums, two art museums, the nation's first state-supported Symphony Orchestra, the State Library, the N.C. Arts Council and the State Archives. NCDCR champions our state's creative industry that accounts for more than 300,000 jobs and generates nearly $18.5 billion in revenues. For more information, please call (919) 807-7300 or visit www.ncdcr.gov

      ###

      North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources

      ncdcr.gov / ncculture.com

      109 East Jones Street / Raleigh, North Carolina 27601
      (919) 807-7385 / info.marketingservices@...

      Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter View our photos on flickr View our videos on YouTube

      North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources | 109 East Jones Street | Raleigh | NC | 27601