new regenerodyne project

  • peter kerttula
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
      hi gary....i am contemplating a regenerodyne. after having built
      5 or 6 regens, i think im ready for a more taxing project. the tube lineup will be osc=6ab4,mixer=6au6,det/audio amp=6j6. these are all tubes i have on hand. my main concern is the loss of 80m. i really like 80 and dont want to loose it. is there some other mixing scheme i could use that would allow me to retain 80 and still get the other bands?? any suggestions would be welcome.
      tnx es 73's pete ka1ifg

      Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
    • wd4nka@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
        In a message dated 2/1/2005 7:04:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        pkertt@... writes:

        > hi gary....i am contemplating a regenerodyne. after having built
        > 5 or 6 regens, i think im ready for a more taxing project. the tube lineup
        > will be osc=6ab4,mixer=6au6,det/audio amp=6j6. these are all tubes i have on
        > hand. my main concern is the loss of 80m. i really like 80 and dont want to
        > loose it. is there some other mixing scheme i could use that would allow me to
        > retain 80 and still get the other bands?? any suggestions would be welcome.
        > tnx es 73's pete ka1ifg

        Sure, Pete. Just remember that whatever band you want ultimately
        converts to an IF "window". Just choose the frequency of your IF window
        ( i like to stay around 2 - 3 mHz ) and compute the xtal osc. frequency
        that provides 80m at that conversion. In the case of 80m, you could
        use a 2.5 - 2.0mc IF, and a 6mHz xtal to cover 3.5 - 4 mHz. Another
        way, which even some commercial rigs like Mosley did, was use the
        80m band itself as the IF, and convert the other ham bands to it. This
        would give you effectively a straight regen on 80, and single conversion
        regenerodyne operation on the other bands. If you go this route, tho,
        make sure to shield that IF coil.

        -gary

        gary // wd4nka

        Visit my site at: <A HREF="http://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/">http://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/</A>