Happy Fifth Anniversary, Regenrx!

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
      Wow. This month marks five years. Where's
      the time gone?

      I must share - maybe I shouldn't, but I will:

      Five years ago I was a member of a fairly well
      known vintage radio newsgroup and I floated the
      idea of a list wholly dedicated to Regenerative
      radios, mostly because I always saw them as a
      genre unto themselves.

      One reply from one of the higher profile members
      was "why the heck would you need a list like that?"

      Hee, that was all it took.

      Not to get me wrong, there were positive responses,
      too. And when folks noticed that some fairly well
      known authors and serious professionals came on board
      our little list that nobody would ever "need",
      the membership jumped exponentially. And you know?
      We've never needed to "advertise", as it were. We made
      it a point to never "graze" in another's pasture.

      I've caught some pointed drifts from other groups
      over the years, [some posts copied over to me] implying
      that we were in some sort of competition with other
      groups, which is patently absurd. But it does point
      to the fact that we do have presence, and recognition
      as one of the largest groups of our ilk, and most
      noticeably one of the most peaceable. We've never
      needed to be policed, I do not recall one incident of
      having to intervene.

      One aspect of Regenerx which I have always appreciated
      was the tendency for what can be some pretty highly
      involved technical aspect tend to be discussed in language
      even **I** can understand. Errors can be gently corrected
      without heated argument, and I've posted my share of goofs.
      Regenerx has proven to be a community. At least, your
      listowner thinks so.

      Garey, thanks for the yeoman work you've done taking
      up the slack for me as I found myself having to divide
      my time between here and another "amateur" vintage
      group I am working hard to develop here in Central
      Florida: Letterpress Printing.

      To all the other moderators that stepped in when and
      as needed, thanks to you, too.

      And to all you who priviledged this group by your membership
      and participation, who have created for this group an
      enviable reputation and a fun environment to exchange
      ideas, experiences and stories, not to mention the projects,
      photos, files, links, etc., thank you.

      Here's to many more years of Regeneratin'!

      -gary // wd4nka
      Listowner.
    • ku8h
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
        Hi Gary,

        It really is a terrific list. I think it's funny that I was Googling for information on regens and found the Regenerodyne pages and then separately found this group. I recall making a comment to this group to point out the Regenerodyne project before I made the connection - duh. Nobody ragged on me about it... thanks. I am a member of only two other lists that don't have flames and are always very helpful but those are not related to radio in any way. Good as some of the other radio lists may be there are occasional barbs and flames.

        Right in the middle of winter survival preparations the loaner SW-3 has started refusing to oscillate. That's a new delay in the coil set development for that one (maybe an undiscovered cold solder joint). The RAK-7 is in an inconvenient place to get any use (gonna correct that soon). And parts are still being collected to evaluate different circuits with "laboratory numbers" so that we can finally determine exactly how much difference one front-end makes compared to another. If my homebrew lab gear isn't quite as accurate as H-P or Tek gear, making measurements with the same test gear on different circuits will give useful numbers for comparison. If somebody wants to donate test and measurement gear I'll be happy to accelerate that project. Otherwise I'll plod along with my projects that certainly include regens.

        73,

        Bill KU8H
      • ku8h
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
          Hi,

          I got to accomplish some other things while I was getting the loaner SW-3 to percolate again. It has those ancient five pin tubes and my B&K tube tester won't accommodate them. I have an older Simpson tube tester I had never plugged in before. I found the manual for it and started working my way into it. I checked it out with some known good tubes of much lower value than the ones in the SW-3. I repaired several defects in the old tube tester (with no loss of tubes) and then checked the SW-3 tubes (low emission was feared). They're ok!!

          The regeneration control was near wide open when it went into oscillation before so I adjusted the screen supply to give a little bit more oomph - adjusted maximum screen supply from 42 volts to 48 volts. There is a CW contest running on 160 meters and the detector is working as it's supposed to again. Keep 'em percolating.

          73,

          Bill KU8H
        • Hue Miller
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
            At the Rickreal ( Oregon state, USA ) hamfest on Oct. 24, I saw an SW-3
            with a flat, plain aluminum finish - NOT black painted. I don't think I had
            ever seen such a model before. It was priced at $250 with 5 coilsets and
            did not sell.
            I also saw a very dirty RAK for about $50 and an RCA AR8503 with some-
            thing gone from front panel for $45. Both of the latter were very overpriced
            and of course did not sell, so the owner had the happy task of lugging
            this heavy stuff back to his vehicle.
            From the same seller I bought a US Army signal generator, something
            like for servicing TPN-2 radar. It is modest sized, has a large silvered
            National vernier dial, and not too many openings on the front panel -
            in fact, an ideal cabinet for a regen of some kind. The National
            vernier goes to a 10 pF variable, which unfortunately, I would guess
            ( your input invited ) is just too small to be practical for use on SW
            HF bands, even as only for bandspread tuning. -Hue Miller

          • Larry Beaty
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
              This is a fine professional group.

              Many thanks for your inspiration Gary.

              Larry

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
                Happy 5th anniversary to the Regenrx group.

                Wow! It seems regenrx has been going much longer than that thanks to the continual input of new ideas and technical discusion.

                Many thanks Gary for initiating this group and long may it continue to inspire new and old regen builders alike.

                Best wishes to all on the list,

                Des (M0AYF)

                --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <wd4nka@...> wrote:

                > Wow. This month marks five years. Where's
                > the time gone?
                >
                > I must share - maybe I shouldn't, but I will:
                >
                > Five years ago I was a member of a fairly well
                > known vintage radio newsgroup and I floated the
                > idea of a list wholly dedicated to Regenerative
                > radios, mostly because I always saw them as a
                > genre unto themselves.
                >
                > One reply from one of the higher profile members
                > was "why the heck would you need a list like that?"
                >
                > Hee, that was all it took.
                >
                > Not to get me wrong, there were positive responses,
                > too. And when folks noticed that some fairly well
                > known authors and serious professionals came on board
                > our little list that nobody would ever "need",
                > the membership jumped exponentially. And you know?
                > We've never needed to "advertise", as it were. We made
                > it a point to never "graze" in another's pasture.
                >
                > I've caught some pointed drifts from other groups
                > over the years, [some posts copied over to me] implying
                > that we were in some sort of competition with other
                > groups, which is patently absurd. But it does point
                > to the fact that we do have presence, and recognition
                > as one of the largest groups of our ilk, and most
                > noticeably one of the most peaceable. We've never
                > needed to be policed, I do not recall one incident of
                > having to intervene.
                >
                > One aspect of Regenerx which I have always appreciated
                > was the tendency for what can be some pretty highly
                > involved technical aspect tend to be discussed in language
                > even **I** can understand. Errors can be gently corrected
                > without heated argument, and I've posted my share of goofs.
                > Regenerx has proven to be a community. At least, your
                > listowner thinks so.
                >
                > Garey, thanks for the yeoman work you've done taking
                > up the slack for me as I found myself having to divide
                > my time between here and another "amateur" vintage
                > group I am working hard to develop here in Central
                > Florida: Letterpress Printing.
                >
                > To all the other moderators that stepped in when and
                > as needed, thanks to you, too.
                >
                > And to all you who priviledged this group by your membership
                > and participation, who have created for this group an
                > enviable reputation and a fun environment to exchange
                > ideas, experiences and stories, not to mention the projects,
                > photos, files, links, etc., thank you.
                >

                > Here's to many more years of Regeneratin'!
                >

                > -gary // wd4nka
                > Listowner.

              • Martin / K0BXB
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
                  I've been a ham for 50 years and have an electronics engineering background. But it wasn't until I stumbled upon this group that I was able to decide to build my first Regen, in fact my first tube based anything! What a ball. I use my little 40 meter 2-tube regen occasionally for a QSO but the point is NOT that, it is that I built it and it works and reading the many ideas and interaction on this group that helped me along the way.

                  Thanks to everyone!

                  Martin K0BXB

                • John Rehwinkel
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2011
                    > Garey, thanks for the yeoman work you've done taking
                    > up the slack for me as I found myself having to divide
                    > my time between here and another "amateur" vintage
                    > group I am working hard to develop here in Central
                    > Florida: Letterpress Printing.

                    Speaking of which, this may interest you, even if it's 1500 miles away:

                    http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/01/31/contents_of_old_north_end_printing_plant_up_for_auction/

                    - Cheers,
                    John Rehwinkel KG4L