Re: 3-Tube AC/DC -Powered Regen

  • John Berry.
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1 2:41 AM
      --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "Hue Miller" <kargo_cult@...> wrote:

      > There's a difference between an AA5 AC-DC
      > all encased in a plastics cabinet and an open
      > chassis radio attached to your head by a cord.
      > If you forget the headphone and move far
      > enough to pull the radio, you could easily
      > have it land on you or mistakenly grab it. The
      > current drain is low enough one these that a
      > small isolation transformer or back-to-back
      > filament transformer would do the job. The
      > headphone cord to radio is why I never felt
      > tempted to build the candle-powered radio
      > in the 1961 Popular Science magazine - I knew
      > that at some point I would forget I had a
      > headphone on, and try to walk away, and spill
      > the candle.
      > The Meissner tuning rate is not wonderful on
      > shortwaves, to say the least, but it's still
      > usable on good old MW AM BC, and I'm sure
      > some of us enjoy listening via minimal radios.
      > Of course, the diversity of the AM band at least
      > in the USA is maybe not what it was. It's hard
      > to imagine too many young people today being
      > interested in building a receiver to listen to what's
      > on the AM band. -Hue Miller
      >
      > HI HUE.Well here in the UK I tune the Auto Radio to FM,nothing but mind numbing HipHop Drum n Bass Music???? or even more boring local programs.MW dozens of "Classic Gold" stations ALL playing the same Tracks they have played for YEARS !!,and the same news every half hour.Here however we do have LONG WAVES get some resonable choice from the Continent and at home in the summer Test Match Cricket.SO I just bung a 60's/70's Cassete Tape (Yes I still use 'em)into it with some good ole RocknRoll and drift back to the days when things really were GREAT !!!,kids today don't know what they missed ??.John G1WOS.
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1 8:02 AM
        Good stuff,

        I am redrawing the Meissner Midget schematic based on my model and will publish it in the files section when it is verified. I will to try to get the exact parts values recorded on the sheet before I start the rebuild process. I took a couple of photos under chassis too. My parts are older than the ones shown in the web article. The resistors are the old white ceramic body type. The variable is a dual section type with the rear section plates removed so only the 365 pF section is used.

        Mike WU2D
      • Hue Miller
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1 1:11 PM
          John, I agree with your comments on the broadcast wasteland, for the most part.

          Hard to imagine a youngster these days wanting to build a simple radio in order

          to enjoy radio broadcasts with it - more it's a technical feat.

          However, there are some areas with more diversity, at least for "older kids".

          For example, some Public Radio stations here in Oregon, broadcast BBC or

          World Radio Network programs overnight.

          If you happened to live near Window Rock, Arizona, you could actually listen

          to rock n' roll done in Native American tribal languages - actually some pretty

          good stuff. I used to hear that station when I lived in Salt Lake City.

          I think Canada has a good variety of AM broadcasting, through the local

          CBC affiliates, however the move in recent years has been to close these and

          move to FM band. -Hue