Re: Regen as a transceiver

  • John Berry.
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2008
      --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Burge" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Hi all.
      >
      > Has anyone here seen (or better still made) a regen receiver that
      > deliberately used the *same* section as a transmitter so as to
      make a
      > low power transceiver? A friend told me it's been done but I've
      not
      > seen a circuit.
      >
      > Experiments at my end suggest my common or garden cathode tapped
      > Hartley 6C4 regen will put out about 1 mW with the reaction
      control
      > turned well past the point of optimum setting.
      >
      > I'm considering switching the plate voltage and grid leak resistor
      so
      > I can get more than 1mW in TX mode. Simultaneous sidetone might
      be
      > slightly more tricky :)
      >
      > This is for a 1 tube transceiver design I'm pondering.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >

      > 73,
      >
      > ... Andrew
      > M0BXT
      >
      >> HI ANDREW,interesting as I've often thought about this
      myself.It's been widely done in the past on VHF with SuperRegens so
      why not with standard Regen' sets.ALSO seen many regen' designs
      using Power Pentodes,ie 6V6's etc??.One point to note is with
      Wideband sets the Regen' control has to work over a wide setting,BUT
      if designed for bandspread on a "Ham" band it's not as critical.As
      you say it could be switched into full oscillation for TX,although
      frequency shift would probably come into it,BUT that could be
      compensated by a relay switched capacitor (variable??).OR you could
      switch in a Xtal for TX !!,or instead of relays use a multipole
      Manual switch ??,plenty of scrap oscilloscopes etc with big
      multipole switches in 'em,hi,hi.A MASSIVE but very interesting
      subject??,be VERY interested in how you get on.To me Amature Radio
      has become VERY,VERY boreing,nobody BUILDS anything any more !!.BUT
      little AM/CW rigs are a good outlet.My interest was revived by
      resurrecting a WS19 WWII set,fine for local AM contacts on
      160/80/40mtrs,so a 1 tube (valve) Tx/Rx,Hmmmmm.John G1WOS.Bristol UK.
    • Fernando Krouwel
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi John and Andrew:

        In the 50´s there was a commercial transceiver using this principle. In the RF section, a single tube was switched between superregenerative receiver and AM modulated oscillator for transmitting. Is the so called "Vocaline", operating at about 470 MHz (UHF).
        Also in books of 1930 circa, you find some tube handies using the about the same circuitry.

        73´s
        Fernando - PY2ETT

        > Has anyone here seen (or better still made) a regen receiver that
        > deliberately used the *same* section as a transmitter so as to
        make a
        > low power transceiver? A friend told me it's been done but I've
        not
        > seen a circuit.
        >
        > Experiments at my end suggest my common or garden cathode tapped
        > Hartley 6C4 regen will put out about 1 mW with the reaction
        control
        > turned well past the point of optimum setting.
        >
        > I'm considering switching the plate voltage and grid leak resistor
        so
        > I can get more than 1mW in TX mode. Simultaneous sidetone might
        be
        > slightly more tricky :)
        >
        > This is for a 1 tube transceiver design I'm pondering.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >

        > 73,
        >
        > ... Andrew
        > M0BXT
        >
        >> HI ANDREW,interesting as I've often thought about this
        myself.It's been widely done in the past on VHF with SuperRegens so
        why not with standard Regen' sets.ALSO seen many regen' designs
        using Power Pentodes,ie 6V6's etc??.One point to note is with
        Wideband sets the Regen' control has to work over a wide setting,BUT
        if designed for bandspread on a "Ham" band it's not as critical.As
        you say it could be switched into full oscillation for TX,although
        frequency shift would probably come into it,BUT that could be
        compensated by a relay switched capacitor (variable??).OR you could
        switch in a Xtal for TX !!,or instead of relays use a multipole
        Manual switch ??,plenty of scrap oscilloscopes etc with big
        multipole switches in 'em,hi,hi.A MASSIVE but very interesting
        subject??,be VERY interested in how you get on.To me Amature Radio
        has become VERY,VERY boreing,nobody BUILDS anything any more !!.BUT
        little AM/CW rigs are a good outlet.My interest was revived by
        resurrecting a WS19 WWII set,fine for local AM contacts on
        160/80/40mtrs,so a 1 tube (valve) Tx/Rx,Hmmmmm.John G1WOS.Bristol UK.

      • Howard Kraus
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1, 2008
          Dwight, KG4HSY put a kit out that uses a 3A5 as a TX/RX-the 1-Der 40.  I'm not sure if they are still available, a quick Google of 1-Der 40 should take you to his site.

          It's a bit lower on TX than you're looking for, about 200-250mW depending on the tube.  The neat thing is that he incorporated 9V battery connectors on board the PCB, allowing you all battery operation (along with an onboard D cell).  Sweet kit, and very useable.

          73

          Howard Kraus, K2UD

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1, 2008
            Hi Andrew.Been thinking again about your idea.What about using one of
            the TV Frame Amplifier type Tubes (Valves)These have a Seperate
            General purpose Triode,Ok for the Regen Rx,and a rather "Beefy" ouput
            Pentode for the TX ??.Much easier as the Rx/Tx sections could be
            electrically seperate !!.Pentode Xtal controlled with Pi-Tank
            out,Triode conventional Regen'.Still using "One" Valve ???.John G1WOS.
          • Andrew Burge
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 1, 2008
              --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "John Berry." <jbbr35487@...> wrote:

              > --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Burge" <yahoo@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all.
              > >
              > > Has anyone here seen (or better still made) a regen receiver that
              > > deliberately used the *same* section as a transmitter so as to
              > make a
              > > low power transceiver? A friend told me it's been done but I've
              > not
              > > seen a circuit.
              > >
              > > Experiments at my end suggest my common or garden cathode tapped
              > > Hartley 6C4 regen will put out about 1 mW with the reaction
              > control
              > > turned well past the point of optimum setting.
              > >
              > > I'm considering switching the plate voltage and grid leak
              resistor
              > so
              > > I can get more than 1mW in TX mode. Simultaneous sidetone might
              > be
              > > slightly more tricky :)
              > >
              > > This is for a 1 tube transceiver design I'm pondering.
              > >
              > > Thanks.
              > >

              > > 73,
              > >
              > > ... Andrew
              > > M0BXT
              > >
              > >> HI ANDREW,interesting as I've often thought about this
              > myself.It's been widely done in the past on VHF with SuperRegens so
              > why not with standard Regen' sets.ALSO seen many regen' designs
              > using Power Pentodes,ie 6V6's etc??.One point to note is with
              > Wideband sets the Regen' control has to work over a wide
              setting,BUT
              > if designed for bandspread on a "Ham" band it's not as critical.As
              > you say it could be switched into full oscillation for TX,although
              > frequency shift would probably come into it,BUT that could be
              > compensated by a relay switched capacitor (variable??).OR you could
              > switch in a Xtal for TX !!,or instead of relays use a multipole
              > Manual switch ??,plenty of scrap oscilloscopes etc with big
              > multipole switches in 'em,hi,hi.A MASSIVE but very interesting
              > subject??,be VERY interested in how you get on.To me Amature Radio
              > has become VERY,VERY boreing,nobody BUILDS anything any more !!.BUT
              > little AM/CW rigs are a good outlet.My interest was revived by
              > resurrecting a WS19 WWII set,fine for local AM contacts on
              > 160/80/40mtrs,so a 1 tube (valve) Tx/Rx,Hmmmmm.John G1WOS.Bristol
              UK.

              Hi john,

              thanks for the reply - all noted.

              I was thinking of HF & CW operation rather than super-regen but
              that's a thought.

              I recently built "TR6C4" which you can see here: www.tetrode.co.uk
              but that's really two circuits and not the "altered bias" design I've
              mentioned in my posting.

              I think I'm going to have to build something along these lines and
              find out.

              People do still build things although it's [much] less common than it
              was.

              Looking at your QTH your should email G4OEP (a very avid home brewer)
              and get some local QSOs set up on your WS19 and other stuff.

              I'm lucky to have Roger G3XBM in the next village and have worked him
              on all sorts of things including 1uW on 50Mhz using a signal gen!

              73,

              ... Andrew
            • wd4nka
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 1, 2008
                The US Forestry service used just such a rig for short distance point
                to point operation back during the 1920s. One is on display at the
                Ranger Stations high atop Brasstown Bald, White Co. Georgia. The
                microphone is fixed, bolted to the vertical box that contains the radio.
                IIRC, the microphone is in the feedback return circuit of the tickler
                coil.

                During one of the Dayton Hamfests years ago someone make two
                of these things and demonstrated them. I think the frequency was
                in the vicinity of 200m.

                -gary / wd4nka

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 1, 2008
                  If you had a regen receiver capable of some power output when it went
                  into oscillation, that would be the normal mode to copy cw.

                  You would be radiating a big signal when you are receiving. Not good
                  and the FCC would not smile upon you.

                  There are many designs, including spy radios, that used the same tube
                  or tubes to make a receiver, and then with big multi pole switches,
                  use the same tube/tuned circuits to make a transmitter. Might be done
                  for short range low power sets, or sets that had to be very small and
                  concealable.

                  There was review of one Japanese spy radio in CQ or QST not long ago.
                  Two tubes I think and big multi-pole leaf switch.

                  Of course, now getting the necessary switch to switch everything is
                  more complicated for the hobbyist than just building a one tube tx
                  and a one or two tube rx.

                  drT in Dallas,
                  aka Bob
                • Alan Yates
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
                    Andrew,

                    Yes, but not with tubes.

                    I've experimented with the idea in general, the most successful
                    version was a one-transistor WBFM toy transceiver:

                    http://www.vk2zay.net/article.php/156

                    The QSK-1 circuit by Bob Culter N7FKI is a CW regen transceiver using
                    a DMOS fet. Bob talks about using super-regen as a side-tone on TX
                    (ie a squegging oscillator) but notes that it generates multiple RF
                    output frequencies.

                    Most kids AM walkie-talkies (especially the classic 3-transistor
                    design) are xtal controlled, but essentially a super-regen circuit
                    that with some switching acts as a collector modulated oscillator on
                    TX. That isn't quite what you are looking for though.

                    I've seen a few designs for VHF AM walkie-talkies using acorn tubes or
                    nuvistors. Most were free-running oscillators on TX and regen or more
                    commonly super-regen on RX.

                    Regards,
                    Alan VK2ZAY

                    --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Burge" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all.
                    >
                    > Has anyone here seen (or better still made) a regen receiver that
                    > deliberately used the *same* section as a transmitter so as to make a
                    > low power transceiver? A friend told me it's been done but I've not
                    > seen a circuit.
                    >
                    > Experiments at my end suggest my common or garden cathode tapped
                    > Hartley 6C4 regen will put out about 1 mW with the reaction control
                    > turned well past the point of optimum setting.
                    >
                    > I'm considering switching the plate voltage and grid leak resistor so
                    > I can get more than 1mW in TX mode. Simultaneous sidetone might be
                    > slightly more tricky :)
                    >
                    > This is for a 1 tube transceiver design I'm pondering.
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >

                    > 73,
                    >
                    > ... Andrew
                    > M0BXT

                  • John Berry.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
                      HI ANDREW.well your original posting certainly stirred up a lot of
                      interest/comments etc.Reminded me years ago when i've read that people
                      in the pre-war days used to set the then widely used regen domestic RX
                      to oscillation point and send CW to frends by tapping on the HT lead
                      to the HT battery !!.so please let us know how you get on with the
                      project,OK.John G1WOS.
                    • Prof. Arnaldo Coro Antich
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
                        Dear amigos>

                        A transceiver is defined as a rig that uses common elements between
                        receiver and transmitter.
                        A transmitter-receiver is defined as a rig having totally separated
                        transmission and reception capabilities
                        In between , there are many options, like the sharing of a common
                        power supply.
                        Among the most interesting regenerative receiver - crystal controlled
                        transmitter combinations the British Practical Wireless Magazine
                        rig that uses a triode-pentode 9 pin vacuum tube or "valve", as the
                        British name those vacuum devices.
                        Another idea is to switch the same vacuum tube elements between
                        a regenerative receiver circuit and a crystal controlled transmitter
                        an idea that works very well with the 6AQ5 and EL84 vacuum tubes.
                        Those two tetrodes, although intended to be used as audio output
                        stages transformer coupled to a low impedance loudspeaker, work
                        very well as a regenerative detector, something that may
                        seem to be quite surprising.
                        Its application as a power crystal oscillator will generate
                        a very nice sounding QRP signal of around 5 Watts, if grid
                        block keying is implemented.
                        73 and DX
                        Arnie Coro
                        CO2KK
                      • Rick Andersen
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
                          For what it's worth, I won 2nd place at a Science Fair when I was in
                          grade school-- simply by strapping a crystal mic across the grid leak
                          resistor of an Armstrong Oscillator and demonstrating that it could
                          be made to transmit my voice into a nearby AM radio.

                          Not exactly a 'transceiver' but could be kludged into one with a
                          little daring.

                          --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Burge" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all.
                          >
                          > Has anyone here seen (or better still made) a regen receiver that
                          > deliberately used the *same* section as a transmitter so as to make
                          > low power transceiver? A friend told me it's been done but I've
                          not
                          > seen a circuit.
                          >
                          > Experiments at my end suggest my common or garden cathode tapped
                          > Hartley 6C4 regen will put out about 1 mW with the reaction control
                          > turned well past the point of optimum setting.
                          >
                          > I'm considering switching the plate voltage and grid leak resistor
                          so
                          > I can get more than 1mW in TX mode. Simultaneous sidetone might be
                          > slightly more tricky :)
                          >
                          > This is for a 1 tube transceiver design I'm pondering.
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          >

                          > 73,
                          >
                          > ... Andrew
                          > M0BXT

                        • Andrew Burge
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
                            --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "John Berry." <jbbr35487@...> wrote:

                            > HI ANDREW.well your original posting certainly stirred up a lot of
                            > interest/comments etc.Reminded me years ago when i've read that
                            people
                            > in the pre-war days used to set the then widely used regen domestic
                            RX
                            > to oscillation point and send CW to frends by tapping on the HT
                            lead
                            > to the HT battery !!

                            Yes - that is *exactly* where I was going with this only a bit more
                            QRO...

                            > So please let us know how you get on with the
                            > project,OK.John G1WOS.

                            Will do.

                            I've got an MPF102 based regen lash-up on the bench at present. It
                            does not seem as well behaved as my 6C4 RX but then again I've spent
                            a lot longer tweaking around with 6C4s than MPF102s :)

                            73,

                            ... Andrew
                          • Andrew Burge
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
                              --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "dr_telecom" <dr_telecom@...> wrote:

                              > If you had a regen receiver capable of some power output when it
                              went
                              > into oscillation, that would be the normal mode to copy cw.
                              >
                              > You would be radiating a big signal when you are receiving. Not
                              good
                              > and the FCC would not smile upon you.
                              >
                              > There are many designs, including spy radios, that used the same
                              tube
                              > or tubes to make a receiver, and then with big multi pole switches,
                              > use the same tube/tuned circuits to make a transmitter. Might be
                              done
                              > for short range low power sets, or sets that had to be very small
                              and
                              > concealable.
                              >
                              > There was review of one Japanese spy radio in CQ or QST not long
                              ago.
                              > Two tubes I think and big multi-pole leaf switch.
                              >
                              > Of course, now getting the necessary switch to switch everything is
                              > more complicated for the hobbyist than just building a one tube tx
                              > and a one or two tube rx.
                              >
                              > drT in Dallas,
                              > aka Bob

                              Hi Bob. I've done some measurements and although it's not possible
                              to come up with a hard and fast figure my single section 6C4
                              transceiver leaks out about -30 dBm (1 uW) in receive mode.

                              By deliberately tuning up the regeneration control this can be
                              increased to approximately 0 dBm or 1 mW.

                              I'm not sure there is a figure we must observe in the UK for receiver
                              leakage but I think 1 uW is probably ok and 1 mW isn't! If I lived
                              next door to a ham then they might consider 1 uW to much of course :)

                              I've another regen receiver with a pair of 6SN7GT double triodes in,
                              one of which is a pre-amp before the regen detector.

                              That seems to leak out about -50 dBm which is 0.01 uW - much better.

                              73,

                              … Andrew
                            • mastro_bn
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
                                Hi Andrew,

                                I've seen something similar in the magazine "Radio Broadcast" (years
                                20-30!!), in particular, read "a compact portable wireless set" in
                                volume 1, page 54, and "transmitting and receiving with the same one
                                tube set" in vol. 3 page 29.
                                All "Radio Broadcast" volumes are available for free at www.archive.org.

                                73 de Michele IZ8JJI
                              • John Berry.
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                                  --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Burge" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "John Berry." <jbbr35487@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > HI ANDREW.well your original posting certainly stirred up a lot
                                  of
                                  > > interest/comments etc.Reminded me years ago when i've read that
                                  > people
                                  > > in the pre-war days used to set the then widely used regen
                                  domestic
                                  > RX
                                  > > to oscillation point and send CW to frends by tapping on the HT
                                  > lead
                                  > > to the HT battery !!
                                  >
                                  > Yes - that is *exactly* where I was going with this only a bit
                                  more
                                  > QRO...
                                  >
                                  > > So please let us know how you get on with the
                                  > > project,OK.John G1WOS.
                                  > >

                                  > Will do.
                                  >
                                  > I've got an MPF102 based regen lash-up on the bench at present.
                                  It
                                  > does not seem as well behaved as my 6C4 RX but then again I've
                                  spent
                                  > a lot longer tweaking around with 6C4s than MPF102s :)
                                  >
                                  > 73,
                                  >
                                  > ... Andrew
                                  >
                                  >> HI ANDREW.Well to me Regens just have to be Tubes
                                  (Valves).Nothing wrong with semiconductors but just don't seen to
                                  have the same "?" about it,hi,hi.John G1WOS.
                                • John Berry.
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                                    --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Andersen" <ke3ij@...> wrote:

                                    > For what it's worth, I won 2nd place at a Science Fair when I was in
                                    > grade school-- simply by strapping a crystal mic across the grid
                                    leak
                                    > resistor of an Armstrong Oscillator and demonstrating that it could
                                    > be made to transmit my voice into a nearby AM radio.
                                    >
                                    > Not exactly a 'transceiver' but could be kludged into one with a
                                    > little daring.
                                    >
                                    > HI RICK.Exatly similar to what I did as a Kid Many,Many years ago
                                    now !!.Found my Regen Rx with regen control turned up would put a
                                    whacking great carrier onto the domestic Rx.I then found putting a
                                    Headphone insert "Somewhere" (probably around the grid leak) would
                                    give quite loud modulation.Oh happy days !!!.John G1WOS.
                                  • catboat15@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                                      A long long time ago when I had built my first two tube regen I and a friend
                                      would crank up the feedback and send messages to our friends who had radios.
                                      My friend's mother got a letter from the FCC that spoke pretty harshly about
                                      her son's activities on the BC band. So our radios were placed under strict
                                      parental control.

                                      John Meacham
                                      k6suf

                                    • charles manos
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 4, 2008
                                        This  is very  interesting  it seems  like you were  much ahead of  your time...

                                        ************ **Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
                                        fuel-efficient used cars. (http://autos. aol.com/used? ncid=aolaut00050 000000007)