RE: [regenrx] Newbie Intro

  • Larry Beaty
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2007
      Winston,

      Glad to have you with us.

      Do not be intimidated. There are those of us who talk and do nothing.
      Can't think of any names right now but . . .

      We all agree that if you do not build you do not learn. I am sure your son
      will get you to build!

      One good thing kids are good for! Haa! I miss my little one, she is all
      growed up now. Enjoy the kids while they are young.

      I got my one tube regenerative radio when I was a little older than your
      son. Started me in a career of electronics.

      Welcome to out group.

      Larry

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2007
        Thanks, Bill.

        ZOW! Your Homebrew page is truly stunning! It's a real
        feast for the eyes and very inspiring.

        Today I exhumed my old Heathkit RF Signal Generator,
        Model IGW-19. I also found my old Navy electronics
        training manuals. What a double "blast from the past."
        But then, I guess that's what folks like us are all
        about, eh?

        Winston

        --- Bill M <radioexray@...> wrote:

        > winstonsmith_99 wrote:===> Hello, All. I'm pleased
        > to have come across
        > this group.
        >
        > Welcome, Winston.
        >
        > I'm going to stir up the pot and make the claim that
        > I have logged more
        > stations (100+) on my BCB crystal set than I have on
        > 1-tube regens but
        > thats mostly because I tried harder to do so :)
        >
        > When you throw all the facts into the blender you
        > get some good ideas of
        > how to make anything work best. Lotsa good heads
        > here on this group.
        >
        > Dig in and Enjoy..
        >
        > -Bill
        > http://www.sparkbench.com/homebrew/homebrew.html

        Make Yahoo! your homepage.
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Winston Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2007
          Larry,
          That boy of mine, he's my best friend. He's great
          help in my old-tyme woodshop, and can he ever joint a
          board using only a block plane. That's talent. Last
          week, we built and deployed a really great potato
          cannon. And, as I wrote ealier, we've produced some
          good crystal sets. My poor wife says the only
          difference between him and me is I have a driver's
          license.

          I think we'll start our regen careers by building
          a good power supply. Lindsay's Impoverished Radio
          Experimenter Vol. 4 has what looks to be a good one.
          Any thoughts on power supplies?

          Winston

        • Larry Beaty
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007
            Winston,

            Now you are right down my alley.

            I am a power supply engineer. I have gone all the way to a battery powered
            5KW power supply for traffic signals.

            I have just finished a simple power supply, uses two transformers, one for
            the reference and one for the power. Does zero to 27.5 Vdc at up to 1 Amp
            current limited.

            Shoot me your address, I see if I can send it to you.

            My son was taken from me at age 5. We are now back together and he had his
            35th yesterday. But we always have our heads together, Poor wife! She puts
            up with us, what a gal! His mother would not put up with me. He and I went
            galloping across country in a rental tow vehicle to get a 1928 Durant. A
            lot of wild stories on that trip! If only I had raised him with the
            electronics shop . . . . Oh well!

            --- Larry Beaty <hlbeaty@... <mailto:hlbeaty%40msn.com> > wrote:

            > Winston,
            >
            > Glad to have you with us.
            >

            > Do not be intimidated. There are those of us who
            > talk and do nothing.
            > Can't think of any names right now but . . .
            >

            > We all agree that if you do not build you do not
            > learn. I am sure your son
            > will get you to build!
            >

            > One good thing kids are good for! Haa! I miss my
            > little one, she is all
            > growed up now. Enjoy the kids while they are young.
            >

            > I got my one tube regenerative radio when I was a
            > little older than your
            > son. Started me in a career of electronics.
            >

            > Welcome to out group.
            >

            > Larry
            >

            > From: regenrx@yahoogroups.com <mailto:regenrx%40yahoogroups.com>
            Behalf Of
            > winstonsmith_99
            > Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 11:03 PM
            > To: regenrx@yahoogroups.com <mailto:regenrx%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [regenrx] Newbie Intro
            >

            > Hello, All. I'm pleased to have come across this
            > group. My seven year-
            > old son and I have built all the crystal sets we
            > care to, and we think
            > it's time I put all my training from long-ago Navy
            > days to good use
            > building some regen sets. We recently ordered
            > Lindsay's Impoverished
            > Experimenter series, Secrets of Homebuilt Regen
            > Receivers, How to
            > Build Your First Regen Receiver, and How to Build
            > the Twinplex Regen
            > Receiver.
            >
            > I hope to contribute to the group. But the level of
            > member expertise
            > looks to be so high that I suspect my main
            > contribution will be raw
            > material for stories that begin with, "Can you
            > believe what that guy
            > did?"
            >
            > Anyhow, here's to happy oscillating.
            >
            > ws

            > removed]

            with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.

          • wd4nka
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007
              Welcome to the group, ws.

              Don't worry about your ability to contribute, in fact
              one catagory that doesn't get a whole lot of banter
              [which i would like to see more of] are the exploits
              of those who have already made their gems and
              have been using them. And in that catagory we
              pretty much are all on level ground.

              Woodshop background? Well, man after my own
              heart! Wood and Wireless go together naturally!
              Of course, with your crystal set background, you
              probably know this already. For HF, with an
              oscillating detector, that wood should be pretty
              tight grained, dried and sealed to prevent expansion
              and contraction issues, but apart from that, Maple,
              Poplar, Oak and Clear Pine are my fav breadboard
              materials. Double sided tempered Masonite, the
              kind used for office clip-boards have a general
              consistency and hydroscopy of Bakelite when sealed,
              and integrates quite nicely with wood construction,
              too, and is cheap to get locally.

              Welcome aboard, build, share, ask, and spin yarns,
              by all means. All postings are appreciated postings.

              :>)

              gary // wd4nka
              List Owner.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
                Hi Winston,

                I've got all those books. They're all interesting. I especially like
                Secrets of Homebuilt... Old ARRL handbooks (up to the 1940s???) also
                have lots of good information. But I have to say I learned the most
                from going through the archives here. There are some amazing exchanges
                , a sort of Master class in regen theory and building. I used to
                search the archives for specific answers, but now I just read them
                through. Never fail to learn something new, or remind myself of
                something forgotten.

                Rob

                --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "winstonsmith_99"