Ocean Hopper and other classic regens of the '60s.

  • Gary Johanson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
      Just thought i might break the typical summer silence by posting
      some links to my site regarding the above topic.

      A few years ago, before i started this group, a gentleman who
      visited my site sent me a bunch of floppies containing images and
      scans of his work with the classic Electronics Illustrated (EI) and
      Popular Electronics (PE) projects rigs. His specialty was making
      duplications and somewhat altered versions of the Ocean Hopper
      (which was not a project per say, but a popular beginners regen rx
      marketed by Allied), the Neophyte (which IS a project rig),
      the "Good Sock" (another project rig introduced by a QST writer,
      oddly enough - one of the wierdest names for a receiver yet!) et
      al . . .

      At the time of this post i have misplaced the fella's name. But i
      decided to post what he sent in zip file form for the list's viewing
      interest. Most of these rigs were built in, i think, the '90s.
      Some of the images are scans from the original magazines, some are
      photos of the finished product. There are lots of schematics and
      such, and not in any particular order.

      There are two links. One downloads "Ohopper1" and "Ohopper2". Both
      are WinZipped. These are on my studio site at:

      http://www.reformschoolmusic.com

      The links will be plainly marked.

      You will also notice the link to my site mirror. I have uploaded
      my entire qsl.net site to "ReformSchool Music", mostly because it's
      a higher speed server and qsl.net is pretty slow on the draw for
      video and mp3 files. If you haven't already, feel free to peruse
      around my WD4NKA mirror site while you're there. You might find
      stuff there that i cannot put on QSL.net. Like the mp3
      of "RadioHead", probably the internet's only ballad to a
      shortwave. :>)

      gary // wd4nka
    • Gary Johanson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
        --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Johanson" <wd4nka@...> wrote:
        His specialty was making
        > duplications and somewhat altered versions of the Ocean Hopper
        > (which was not a project per say, but a popular beginners regen rx
        > marketed by Allied), the Neophyte (which IS a project rig),
        > the "Good Sock" (another project rig introduced by a QST writer,
        > oddly enough - one of the wierdest names for a receiver yet!) et
        > al . . .

        Hmmm . . . looking over those images, i may need add that the "Good
        Sock" was contributed by none other than Don Mix, which appeared in,
        if memory serves, QST for june, 1956. The other comment is about the
        Ocean Hopper: While not a project that appeared in PE or IE, etc., it
        WAS a kit apparently, marketed by Allied as a Knight kit. And there
        seems to have been some published articles regarding this rig and
        modifications for it as well, probably in the above mentioned mags,
        so i guess you could call it very much a "project rig". I know the
        guy who sent the images sure had a ball cloning them.

        Summer is on the wane, cooler wx coming up in a couple months, and
        along with that: quieter bands, especially down here in the sunny
        south and the subtropics. Maybe some of these pictures might start
        the ol' homebrewing juices a'flowing for fall/winter projects! Ya
        think?

        gary // wd4nka
      • Gary Johanson
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
          The second download link for the Ocean Hopper is a more organised
          version of the first link (ohopper1). I uploaded these exactly as how
          they were placed on the CD. The first file contains the same cassettes,
          but also some smaller images of which appear in larger size in their
          respective cassette folders. I think those may have been meant for
          indexing or thumbnails or something. That's what i get for doing the
          uploading at 1 am!

          Anyway, just download the second Ocean Hopper link and i think you will
          have everything. When i get home, i'll make the adjustment on my site,
          to avoid any redundant downloading (which i hate.)

          gary // wd4nka
        • Des
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
            Hi Gary and the group,

            Some nice pictures of regen's and schematics, I for one feel
            another project comming on for the winter months :-)

            No regens here at the moment, many have been built to test some idea
            or another but I never seem to "box em up" so perhaps its high time I
            built a more permanent model.

            73,s to all on this list.

            Des (M0AYF)