Re: [regenrx] Re: low voltage hybrid system

  • Garey Barrell
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 28, 2013
      Fear of high voltage is never overdone. As little as 60V 'CAN'
      trigger your heart into atrial fibrillation (translation 'dead in
      minutes.)

      Anything can get you. I got caught by a house fuse in the neutral
      line (the lights went off, didn't they) replacing a ceiling fixture
      for my Mom. Standing on a soft hassock in the basement, balancing by
      holding on to the old 'BX' (spiral metal covered) cable, stuffing
      friction tape splices up into the outlet box, when my 'electrician's
      pliers' cut through the friction tape. Could NOT let go, and the only
      thing that saved me was I fell off of the hassock. If I'd been on a
      ladder, or other stable platform......... That was 50 years ago, and I
      recall it quite clearly! Ever since EVERY lead is metered to EVERY
      OTHER lead and to ground before I touch anything!

      One hand in your pocket is still a good practice.

      73, Garey - K4OAH
      Glen Allen, VA

      Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
      and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
      <www.k4oah.com>

      Richard Brunner wrote:
      > I rhink the fear of high voltage among the younger generation is a bit overdone. When I was young and ignorant (vs old and...) I was zapped a few times but nothing serious happened. I have heard of people being killed by voltages of several kv, but not with relatively low 100's of volts. The principle is: When working on energized equipment, touch nothing except with a voltage or signal tracing probe. When actively working on it you turn it off, disconnect it, and discharge filter capacitors before doing any work.
      >
      > Richard, AA1P
      > I'm a little curious. Has anyone ever been killed by 380 V in a radio
      > chassis? Or even an AC/DC radio? Aside from taking the radio into the
      > shower, I don't see the danger of working on high voltage power supplies, as
      > long as they're unplugged first.
      >
      > Leonard

    • krysatec
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 29, 2013
        Hi,

        I think that low voltage tube recievers :

        1/ are interesting and use "new" constructions because circuit is other than HV tube receivers or transistor/IC receivers

        2/ because we need not "new tubes", we have many and many old tubes (often "unused") for tests (in Czech republic)

        3/ because it is also a way for children: no danger voltage! and here is BIG problem destroy tube if you use only low anode voltage

        4/ because you can use "test board" too - for instance here:

        http://krysatec.benghi.org/phprs/images/201304250837_synchrodyn33.jpg

        (here is not problem with tubes and low voltage, but big problem with JFET, MOSFET...)

        Best regards, Jara "Rat"