Rail Built Rigs

  • wd4nka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      And what, might you ask, IS a rail built rig?

      Click here to find out. Pse be patient as QSL.net
      chokes over the image downloads.

      < <A HREF="http://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/TEXTS/novice.html">http://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/TEXTS/novice.html</A> >

      Scroll down to the images labeled:

      "And a Happy Ending" which shows the rail-made 6V6er,
      outboard tuner and Power supply. The thing with the big
      "Sutter" coil is the 6V6er. Then the next image
      " A Close-up of the "Sutter Coil" shows just that, a
      close-up of the rig. The rig is built upon two aluminium
      angle iron "rails" which are much stronger than slat boards
      of the 1940s, and provide a conductive surface. These are
      mounted on hardwood end-blocks, in my case honey stained
      Poplar. This provides a handy insulated mounting surface
      for screw-mount chokes, series variable caps, voltage feed-
      throughs, etc. The coil was hand made, using copper house
      wiring, first wound around a cylinder for form, then fed thru
      pre-drilled lexan strips and glued into place. This forms a
      very solid chunk of coil stock, and if wound correctly, is really
      gorgeous AND can stand toe to toe with any 50 dollar chunk
      of Air-dux! Wound a'la Fred Sutter's article "The QSL 40" in
      the Feb issue of QST for 1938. These rigs were commonly
      paired to the "Modern One Stage Receiver", a 6F8G twinplex,
      board mounted, from another 1938 QST issue. Also can be
      "rail-built".

      And just how strong is railing a chassis with hardwood endblocks?

      My latest use of such is a regulated power supply sporting a hefty
      550 vac 220mA transformer, two surface mounted filter caps, two
      VR150s, there's room for a filter choke, all quite heavy. No flex in
      the chassis whatever. I can mount my half-kilowatt linear Tfmr
      on one with ease. Very inexpensive for what you get, and all parts
      come from Lowes or Home Depot!

      gary // wd4nka

      Visit my site at: <A HREF="http://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/">http://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/</A>

    • Gary Johanson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, wd4nka@a... wrote:

        >> . . . and all parts come from Lowes or Home Depot!

        Hmm, just dawned on me some of you folks outside the
        US might be scratching your head. I should have said
        "your neighborhood hardware goods and supply store".

        Lowe's and Home Depot are two of our national
        mega-chains. 1" med. gauge aluminium angle stock
        costs between 8 and 10 dollars U.S. for an 8 foot
        length ( about 2.75 metres ) and the endblocks often
        come in finished board lengths for about the same
        price. 20 dollars can produce several solid and
        great looking chassis. Especially if you use brass
        wood screws and if you stain and polish the wooden
        end blocks.

        Good Providence in ALL your endeavours!

        vy 73 es cul
        de gary // wd4nka
        ar k ..
      • larry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2005
          I just saw your radios... jealous, envious, etc..
          Larry ve3fxq

[...]

          "In the interest of Regenerating radio's lost art of Regeneration"

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 2005
            In a message dated 7/8/2005 4:31:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            larya@... writes:

            > I just saw your radios... jealous, envious, etc..
            > Larry ve3fxq

            *** Tnx, Larry, but aww heck, it's really easy stuff.
            Just sorta time consuming. But i appreciate the Kudos.
            Holding it next to the stuff on our list photo album, tho,
            i'm a rank amateur. Boy howdy, and check out the link
            to Daves pages. I usually send folks to see his stuff.
            One of the top builders on the web today, i think!

            The stuff he and Mike and other's build are top notch.

            Trouble with Daves Radios is that they're so museum-
            looking that i would spend all my time looking at them
            and forget that they really ARE functional rigs to use.
            <g>