Re: [regenrx] tube vs transistor

  • mihail dutchevici
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012
      question is not the hard one ( I hope) : For $200,   what is better, the tube or the transistors receiver?

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
        Any Eddystone, naturally.

        73 cheers
        Nick m0NjP

        --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, mihail dutchevici <mihaildutchevici@...> wrote:

        > I have a lot of radios ( ie 600, Grundig 700, Panasonic 2600).
        > No more. I am ready to spend $200 on a DECENT radio.
        > Tell me please valve or TRANSISTOR?
      • Bill Cromwell
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
          On Wed, 2012-10-31 at 21:47 -0500, Jerry Haigwood wrote:

          > I don’t understand these answers. Did this guy ask a really hard
          > question? Are you guys poking fun at him? I just don’t get it.
          >
          > Jerry W5JH

          This is the same as discussing religion or politics or even Windows vs
          MAC. Okay. So I'll push the ignition button. Tubes have always been,
          still are, and will always be *FAR* superior to transistors. So go fo
          rthe tube radios.

          73,

          Bill KU8H
        • davidpnewkirk
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
            --- In regenrx@yahoogroups.com, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

            > On Wed, 2012-10-31 at 21:47 -0500, Jerry Haigwood wrote:
            > >
            > > I don’t understand these answers. Did this guy ask a really hard
            > > question? Are you guys poking fun at him? I just don’t get it.
            > >
            > > Jerry W5JH
            >
            > This is the same as discussing religion or politics or even Windows vs
            > MAC. Okay. So I'll push the ignition button. Tubes have always been,
            > still are, and will always be *FAR* superior to transistors. So go fo
            > rthe tube radios.

            You're right: Fact and fantasy _are_ indistinguishable when one's worldview is magical ( http://mysite.verizon.net/dpnewkirk/magicland.htm ). Hobbying is foremost about the magicality of feeling, with science--the determination of _nonfantastic_ properties, relationships, causes, and effects--playing only the supporting role of stagehand. "Don't confuse me with facts," the wag says, "my mind is made up."

            As I write at the conclusion of "Night to Night" ( http://mysite.verizon.net/dpnewkirk/night_to_night.htm ):

            And then my boat of a day
            bumps the dock
            of my sleep
            At my destination, on schedule,
            cocooned from the Real
            And I pretend that I have not again congratulated myself
            On having so engagedly sailed
            yet another circle
            from night to night
            Without once having awakened myself to the stars and Sun
            Without having desirelessly stared into Being
            to the vanishing point of the Self
            To see the real Earth
            And the real Sky.

            I can keep this up until my death.